cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 x 3 Grid Lines in 5D mk IV viewfinder

JWHoward
Apprentice

I own a 5D mk IV, and recently had the camera in for the offered “Canon Precision Alignment” (or lens calibration). Prior to taking my camera in for this service, I was able to see the 3 x 3 grid lines in the viewfinder … when I got the camera back, grid lines were no longer visible. Easy enough I thought, go into menu, select 3 x 3, and show it. Problem is, the only grid that will show in the viewfinder, is the 6 x 4 … I am positive that the 3 x 3 grid was there before my service, because I used it constantly. I do remember a previous time when I took my camera in, and the exact same thing happened. I called Canon support, and they were able to help me, and the rep said he would put that “fix” into the 5D mk IV help notes. I called this time, and the rep could not help me … but I know it’s possible. I think the previous “fix” had something to do with a  “Reset of custom functions” or “Reset to factory specs” … either way, it’s a bit of work to “experiment”, if it doesn’t work. Also, I’m afraid to ruin my lens calibrations recently completed. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Well, I have the 5DIV, firmware version 1.3.3. and it shows the same grid as you now see in the VF.  There is no VF option for a 3x3 grid, just the 5x4 lines. There is for the LCD.

Just to save you the trouble, I did a full reset and there was not change in the grid in the viewfinder, still 5x4.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you sure you're speaking about the viewfinder? From page 81 in the User Manual, you only have a show/hide option for the viewfinder's grid and that grid will always be 6 x 4 squares.

Greater control exists for live view where one of the options there is 3 x 3.

Just went through these settings on my 5D IV, and I see no option for putting a 3 x 3 grid in the viewfinder.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes, that is what I found even after a factory reset, but agree that the LCD shows a 3x3 grid - rather odd though... 🤔

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Is it possible that Canon upgraded the firmware on the camera. My 5D Mark IV shipped with firmware 1.3.4 instead of firmware 1.3.3 (current version) I'm surprised that Canon hasn't released firmware 1.3.4 yet.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

• When my camera was last in the Service Center, they actually updated to 1.3.4, but had a note that said “not officially released”

OK that makes sense then.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I agree with you about pg 81 in the manual … but, I previously owned a Nikon camera, that had the 3 x 3 option available in the viewfinder, and I do remember that when I set the 5D up initially, my desire to get the same grid was accomplished, but was changed when I took it to the Canon Service Center in Costa Mesa, California. It is then, that I contacted Canon Support to ask about it, and the conversation led to the “fix” I mentioned in my initial post. I am currently running 1.3.4 on the 5D

So Canon did upgrade the firmware on your body then. Canon hasn't released firmware version 1.3.4 on their website. I will try on my 5D Mark IV to see if the 3x3 grid can be set in the viewfinder.

-Demetrius

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

-Demetrius

Announcements