cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Broken Canons in 1 Month

Lorry77
Contributor
Literally want to cry. My 80D of less than a year’s audio stopped working (stopped using my external mic so no audio was recorded along with video ) and had a 3 year warranty so I sent it in to Canon to get repaired . While it was gone I needed a camera because YouTube is my job and I (stupidly in retrospect) bought a Canon R6 with all the bells and whistles it was $3,400!!. Well guess what ?
I get my 80D back and the same day; the audio jack on my New R6 stops working !! No audio on any videos
But wait it gets better
So I’m thinking “ok at least I have my 80D to back me up while the R6 is being repaired “ nope ! As of an hour ago the 80D audio is no longer working either .
I’m gutted . Any suggestions? Heard of this happening to others ? Over 5,500 k spent on New canons with nothing to show for it .
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lorry77
Contributor
I just want to thank everyone who answered ! You all were right it was something to do with my saramonic lapel mic frequency and not the cameras ! I got a basic ($150 usd model) Rode Shotgun mic and it works fine with both cameras. To say I’m relieved would be an understatement; thank you again as if not for your answers both cameras would be on their way to Canon repair now : )

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Be careful, I had a Rode Shotgun mic burst into flames once... Right on my expensive Canon camera!!! Be careful with Rode!

Lorry77
Contributor
Oh no!! Which model ? I have the one that’s $150 usd was it that one ?

Lorry,

Every manufacturer has product failures so I wouldn't get paranoid about your Rode mic 🙂 

It isn't a common failure, either the battery itself had an internal short causing a meltdown or an external short within the mic caused rapid battery discharge with resultant heat.  It can and does happen with even mil-spec battery packs HOWEVER the probability is so low that it isn't worth considering.  Unless you are old order Amish, you have many appliances, devices, and even lowly electrical outlets inside your home that are far more likely to fail (worried yet?) 🙂

I spent much of my career doing quality and risk management consulting and every activity (AND inactivity) has an entire menu of associated risks but risk management does not mean risk avoidance and this is something I have sometimes had to remember.  When my daughter was 3, I took her on our first father/daughter camping and hiking trip to the Colorado Rockies.   While I was setting up the tent, Anna sat in a chair watching while I thought of all the things that could possibly go wrong and by the time I was finished setting up camp I had almost convinced myself to take her to a hotel in Estes Park instead of camping in the mountains.  I walked over after setup and Anna proudly showed me the little wooden marbles she had found to play with, those were of course animal "poop" and that was the closest to a bad thing that happened on the trip.  Anything that cleans up with soap and water was never a real problem 🙂

We had a great time with elk wandering through our camp on the way up and down the mountain every day and she saw and experienced a lot of entertaining and educational events.  My only regret was one morning we left very early to get down to CO Springs and the Garden of the Gods at sunrise; I drove through Estes and at the last stop coming out of town a moose lumbered up and stuck his head in through the pickup's rear window to get a close look at my daughter.  She was giggling and I didn't have a camera handy to capture the moment of Anna trying to introduce her large stuffed moose "Mortimer" to the real beast. 

Enjoy your functioning mic and worry about the truly probable risks like missing a once in a lifetime moment.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

falconfirsit
Contributor

Breaking two cameras in a month sounds very painful to the psychological state. I would be angry after that. In general, it is sometimes very difficult for me to control my anger. This has a very negative effect on others, I often quarrel with my family and friends. I read recently about CBD gummies canada which helps to cope with this. Because if it continues without changes, then I will be left all alone.

Announcements