cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1dx mk 3 noisy and slow shutter speed

Carlosbuddie
Contributor

Has anyone had any issues with the shutter speeds of a 1dx mk3. It is noisy and seems to be only shooting at about 6-7 fps even on maximum (16fps)and sounds like   something is catching inside.  It is fine on live view and  all the soft shooting options. it is also ok  without a lens attached. It happens with all lenses and iso settings and at all shutter speeds   EG 1/6000  @ iso1600.

Before anyone says return to canon, I want to know if there is an easy fix as I live in Spain and don't trust the Correos with a £8000 Camera.

I would be gratefull for any info.

Charles Higgins

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have the 1Dx Mk III but I can tell you for certain, you need to completely reset it to factory.  First right off.  If after you do a full and complete reset it still doesn't work properly, you do need to return it for service or replacement. It still has warranty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Charles,

I have not had any issues with my 1DX III and it is up to around 15,000 exposures.

How do you have AF setup?  Is it searching for focus?  Set a lens to manual focus and see if it still stutters.

Do you have anti-flicker engaged while shooting under artificial lights?  If so it will sync exposure to your 50 hz line frequency to avoid flicker causing it to "stutter" to avoid different lighting effects during shots.

If it isn't one of these issues, nothing else comes to mind off the top of my head.  If you are using live view with the standard mechanical shutter still operational then the shutter mechanism itself is probably fine.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have the 1Dx Mk III but I can tell you for certain, you need to completely reset it to factory.  First right off.  If after you do a full and complete reset it still doesn't work properly, you do need to return it for service or replacement. It still has warranty.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Carlosbuddie wrote:

Has anyone had any issues with the shutter speeds of a 1dx mk3. It is noisy and seems to be only shooting at about 6-7 fps even on maximum (16fps)and sounds like   something is catching inside.  It is fine on live view and  all the soft shooting options. it is also ok  without a lens attached. It happens with all lenses and iso settings and at all shutter speeds   EG 1/6000  @ iso1600.

Is this your first 1D Series camera?  Without actually hearing what it sounds like, a seemingly "loud" shutter could be normal.  I am not sure if I fully understand what you mean by "soft shooting options".  Mirrorless mode?

If the mechanical shutter works in Live View, then there might not be something wrong with the shutter.  The viewfinder uses a different focusing system compared to Live View shooting.  Follow the advice to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  This reset may also have to be done separately in the custom controls menu, and in the AF settings menu, too.

The [camera] could be struggling to acquire focus.  Try the suggestion to switch to MF on the lens.  If t works properly in MF mode, then this could point to the AF system as being at fault.  However, other settings can slow down performance, too.

Trun off or disable all of the noise reduction lens correction, and lighting correction settings.  These can slow things down, especially if you are shooting as JPEGs.  Shooting as RAW should not be as sensitive to these settings as shooting JPEG.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Carlosbuddie
Contributor
Thanks for your input, the reset seems to have cured it but still sounds noisy to me

Carlos,

1 series cameras have a more robust shutter system and the noise is distinctive so compare what you are hearing to another 1 series if this is your first.  I also have a 5DS R and the shutter sound is very different between the two.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi Rodger, Yes I know what you mean I also have the 5ds r and it is completely different to the 5d3. I expected the 1dx at full speed to sound more like the 7d mk2.  Thanks for you  replies  as ai said earlier  the reset  seems to have  sorted out the speed issue.

Regards

Charles

I am glad the reset worked for you.  It is the first thing to do when something isn't right and you don't know what.

"I expected the 1dx at full speed to sound more like the 7d mk2."

As you have seen or heard, it doesn't.

EB

@Carlosbuddie wrote:
Thanks for your input, the reset seems to have cured it but still sounds noisy to me

The 1DX3 is not made for weddings and funerals; it's made for football games and riots. It doesn't matter how noisy the shutter is, as long as it's good for 500,000 shots.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The shutter assembly on a 1 series is like shutting the door of a Mercedes automobile.  It will make an authoritative sound and it will continue to reliably make that same authoritative sound for many years regardless of environment or treatment 🙂

Enjoy your 1DX III.  The 1 series is the best that Canon has to offer in pro level gear and the results are very much worth living with its distinctive personality.

Rodger

Announcements