cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for wide angle used lenses

juzan42
Contributor

can anyone send me to a website or service that has decent deals?

70D, T3i
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S 10-18mm
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro
EF 50mm f/1.8
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
CS6, Lightroom 5.7
4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon has a refurbished section on their online web store:  

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

Note that the selectio (what they actually have in stock) will change rapidly.  So you may look and find nothing that interests you... and a day later you might find something you want... and another day later it might be gone.  (Check back frequently.)

B&H Photo and Adorama both have a "used" section on their store (and most real photography stores (not big-box stores that happen to sell cameras) will have used equipment as well.)

There's also keh.com which specialized in used equipment.

Incidentally, all the stores that have actual "used" gear (used is not the same as "refurbished" -- refurb gear is technically all like-new and even comes with a warranty) will be graded to give you a fair idea of it's condition.  Read the grades carefully... they range from like-new... through grades that indicate it show signs of wear (possibly even light damage as long as it doesn't impact function)... all the way down to conditions that indicate the equpiment is for "parts only" (meaning it does not actually work.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Canon has a refurbished section on their online web store:  

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

Note that the selectio (what they actually have in stock) will change rapidly.  So you may look and find nothing that interests you... and a day later you might find something you want... and another day later it might be gone.  (Check back frequently.)

B&H Photo and Adorama both have a "used" section on their store (and most real photography stores (not big-box stores that happen to sell cameras) will have used equipment as well.)

There's also keh.com which specialized in used equipment.

Incidentally, all the stores that have actual "used" gear (used is not the same as "refurbished" -- refurb gear is technically all like-new and even comes with a warranty) will be graded to give you a fair idea of it's condition.  Read the grades carefully... they range from like-new... through grades that indicate it show signs of wear (possibly even light damage as long as it doesn't impact function)... all the way down to conditions that indicate the equpiment is for "parts only" (meaning it does not actually work.)

Note that Tim did not suggest that you get on E-Bay and prowl for bargains. Buying used cameras and lenses on the open market is a financially dangerous activity best left to experts and those with psychic powers. Buying only from trustworthy vendors with reputations to guard may cost you more, but will decidedly lower your risk.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston has given you good advice. Heed it as the list you provided does not have great candidates for buying used.

If you get a good one, fine, but if you don't?  Check it out first .....................

One problem buying used from the good retailers is, you won't get a great deal. They have to make sure you are getting a good lens, not a good deal.  Always check the new price before you shop.  Why buy used if you only save 10 bucks?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority

One other possibility is Craigslist.  You get to meet the seller/buyer face to face and inspect the merchandise in person.  You will likely get a lower price than you would get from a camera store which has to buy low and sell high to make it worth their trouble.  On Craigslist you sort of cut out the middle man.

On the other hand, this may or may not require at least a little bit more time and effort, and your selection of things on offer is determined by how big/populated your Craigslist neighborhood is.  You will have a huge selection from which to choose if you live in a city with 1MM + people.  You will wait a good long time (if not indefinitely) for a particular lens to appear if you live in a suburban or rural Craigslist district.

That said, I sold a lens on Craigslist once and it was super fast and easy, and I got a fair price.  I assume the buyer felt it went OK too.  You are supposed to meet at a public place with security cameras (a bank, Starbuck's, the police station?) but I just met the buyer at my home.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements