Rising Star

Hello Everyone…

I have 2 Canon Cameras EOS 40 D & EOS 7D

Currently have the following lenses

Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM (2)

Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM

Canon EF 100mm IS USM L Series Macro

Canon EFS 18-55mm (El Cheapo)

I am in the market for a wider angle fixed prime;  my first choice would be…

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

However considering I do have about $1500.00 to work with I will explain the following. I am not a professional, this is one of my few hobbies, I am  typically interested in landscape photography and have 100K photos behind me, my usual outing involves the 40D with the 70-300 locked and a circular polarizer, I have recently determined that I need to obtain a wider field of view, however after reading the various forums my question is should I be looking at Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM or should I be looking at a Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM for more versatility, that one seems redundant since I have a couple of 28-135s

I do already have several 58mm filters, CP, 4-ND, Color enhancher, star filters, etc

I have reached the point where since I just purchased a used 7D I would like to see better results…

Please take a look at my photography in general first then from your experience would a 50mm 1.2 be the obvious lens I am missing, I am not really interested in buying 2 new lenses, just one.

https://500px.com/Mitsubishiman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply, I will be upgrading lenses eventually, unfortunately regarding the post processing I do virtually none at this time, after purchasing the 7D it became apperant I need to start, so saving up for photoshop, in the mean time i have paint shop pro 12, I realize it is the cheap alternative, however everyone needs to start somewhere. and I feel I am off to a good start, Thanks again.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

50mm is still a slightly telephoto on an APS-C sensor camera like your 40D & 7D.  By the math, a 29mm lens would be "normal" and anything shorter is wide, anything longer is telephoto.

The EF 50mm f/1.4 vs. the 1.2L are very different.  The 50mm f/1.4 is better for casual shooting.  The f/1.2 is a bit more difficult to work with (not everyone likes that lens, but those who take the time to exploit it for all it's worth.... love it.)

Have you considered wider lenses... say around 16mm?

For example, there is the new EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM (lists at about $1200)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the info, I will definately look into the 16-35, it appears to be more in line of what I am looking for, I assumed the lower F stop was a better lens for the money, however I apperantly need to do more research as to the differences.

From your sample photos, you like to do general stuff.  This almost eliminates a prime, doesn't it?  Right off.

I am in the, I love the EF 50mm f1.2 L.  It is my most favorite 50mm ever.  However, if you are not willing to work with it, I strongly advise you to avoid it.  It is not an easy lens to use.  It is not a forgiving lens.  It is not for beginners.  It is, however, a great lens that has no peers. To that fact I sold my Sigam 50mm f1.4 Art lens because I would just never use it again after getting the big Canon f1.2.  BTW, the Sigma has got the reputation of the sharpest 50mm ever made.  Still I will take the EF 50mm f1.2 L every time. It is in a class of it own.  So are you ready for it?

The EF 28-135mm is not a good lens, it is a great lens.  You will have a tough time getting noticable better photos form something else.  Unless you want to travel in the 1500+ dollar area.

Two Sigma's come to mind Sigma APO 50-150mm f/2.8 II and the18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM.  Take a look at them.  If you are stuck on a 50, try the EF 50mm f1.4. Everything considered it is a pretty tough lens to beat.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Purchased the 16-35, it arrived this week, BH has it for $1200 with a $50 rebate, I have not tried it out yet but will as soon as the temp gets higher here, last friday it was -22

I will be saving up for the dream 50mm, but for know I will play with the new acquisition.

Thanks eveyone for the incredible input.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, you need to dump the Canon EFS 18-55mm (El Cheapo) and the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM if it is the black one.

Just my 2 cents and worth every penny.

EB

I definately agree on the 18-55, it was a spur of the moment purchase and is disappointing, it was $50 and I soon realiized why, I am interested in your input as to the 70-300, I have found it to be a versitle lens for the money, it is the black version and I completely understand the advantages of the "L" series lenses, however I do not really have the money for an upgrade of that style "yet"

I am always interested in the veterans opinion, is the 70-300 holding me back to the possibilities and should I just save my money for one particular lens for the style of photography I am interested in?

First off either or both of these lenses is better than no lens.  Everybody has to consider their needs along with their budget.

Both of these lenses are entry level and have comprimises to make them affordable to the masses.  Most of this market is just looking for something better than their cell phone.  This job they do quite well and this line is the biggest seller.

Also it is aimed at people that want to start the hobby of photography.  Some are satified and very happy and some want more.

You seem to be a person that is looking beyond.  Good for you!

The longer the zoom focal length, the more difficult is is to produce a good lens.  A 70-200 would be easier to design than a 70-300 would be.  Now add the stated design market and you have to compromise.  With this in mind, this is one reason the 70-300mm (black one) does not have stealler performance.

If a choice has to be made, always, always go with the best lens that fits your budget.  Actually great photos have three parts, 50% you, 50% camera/lens and 50% post editing (Photoshop).  Smiley Happy  Sometimes not in that order but you get the gest.

EB

Thanks for the reply, I will be upgrading lenses eventually, unfortunately regarding the post processing I do virtually none at this time, after purchasing the 7D it became apperant I need to start, so saving up for photoshop, in the mean time i have paint shop pro 12, I realize it is the cheap alternative, however everyone needs to start somewhere. and I feel I am off to a good start, Thanks again.

You can not buy Photoshop any longer.  You must rent it on a monthly basis for about $10 bucks per month.

You can buy Photoshop Elements which is a reduced version that may provide everything you will ever need. 

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements