cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s going on with the RF 200-800 backorder

LaneW
Enthusiast

Estimated shipping date was Dec 14.  I ordered through Adorama, and they just say that they are backordered.  Seems to be the same story ordering direct from Canon and other sellers.  What is really going on here?

Canon R5, 80D. EF 100-400 ii, 1.4 ii TC. RF 800 F/11. RF 24-105 F/4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Apologies for the late response, some health issues and I missed your post.

Actually, from my experience there have been similar issues with other brands, but since their market share is significantly smaller there are fewer voices expressing their discontent.  I'm not disagreeing that this is frustrating, but given these factors impact a lot of other things that are more critical to people's wellbeing - I have seen issues in other contexts with medical equipment deliveries, for example. The first line of my signature is a truth - if your home is flooded, or flattened by a tornado, or you are made redundant and lose your job, a delayed lens will suddenly be somewhat less tragic.

The fact is we have become used to a world of predictability, convenience and fast service.  Well, as factors like climate change (example Panama Canal issue) and conflict (Hormuz Strait bottleneck) start to become more prevalent, you can expect more to disruption to come.  The world has changed a lot since the COVID outbreak - people are more stressed, and that is expressed as frustration, lack of tolerance, political extremism, anger and antisocial behaviour.   We see it a bit on this forum from people who come to rant rather than seek solutions or explanations.

While I do a lot of photography, I am not dependent on any one piece of equipment, and I am not going to get myself in a twist over something I cannot control. I believe photography is more about technique than tech, and since I functioned perfectly well before I knew this or that gear existed, I can continue to do so until it turns up or I consider it economically viable.

I never personally pre-order gear, and usually wait until it has had some field use before purchasing, that way I am not tapping my fingers waiting in anticipation, and it's a lot less stressful.  However, communication is a different issue and I agree that silence in these situations is not golden.  I have worked with multiple large companies and can attest that not sharing bad news is a fairly common human characteristic in business and politics, and there are challenges in doing so when there are major variations.  What if I issue a statement that such-and-such is critically delayed, but some folks get that item right away and then accuse the vendor of crying wolf?  I have seen that happen with weather predictions: predicted bad weather never comes and the agency gets rubbished, so it they be more reticent to issue a warning for the next weather event, and if they don't and it causes strife, they are pilloried again.  Furthermore, as I have also said, it seems to be a cultural characteristic of Japanese society in particular to hold back from the perceived shame of admitting an issue.

All I can say is that if you feel that Canon is acting poorly and think that another vendor will perform better in that context, then I would sincerely suggest moving to them - it's your right as a consumer to vote with your feet.  I shoot Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony and they are ALL great companies or they would not exist.  Just be aware switching platforms usually costs, so research their performance carefully.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80

I repeat.  I am not here to defend Canon in this, I am trying to explain part of the issue and provide context using verifiable data.   If you read my full comment I suggested that they need to be more forthcoming or at least provide context.  This is an issue with a lot of corporates, I might add - I've worked for some and found it highly frustrating as we get flak just for working there.
That said, for heaven's sake, it's only a lens, it's not like it's food, fuel, medical supplies or ammunition for a conflict. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

These issues are likely hampering shipping to a degree but I would think that Sony, Nikon, etc. would be experiencing the same issues yet I am not hearing the same from those users.    It’s April and still no word on what the issue is.   We have the same from Canon regarding the r5ii and r1.   Being at a crossroads, I’m in a position to switch to Sony or Nikon, and these delays without explanation or target date are pushing me toward that end.   I have loved Canon products but I, like others, are ready to move on.   Canon isn’t that much better than the competition, if they are better.  As the issues with availability doesn’t seem to be an issue with other companies I tend to think Canon has some internal issues, an engineering bug/flaw or something along those lines.    Thus the silence.    

Thank you for your insights, I do think what you are saying is correct and some things may be impacted but I’m not sure that is the case here.  

Canon ain't selling the R5ii or the R1 yet.   They took my order for the 200-800 back in November and not a single word on what is going on other than they keep reauthorizing my credit card every month.

As far as my summary of the factors impacting on global logistics goes, I am happy to stand by that input as a general situation.  However, I cannot specifically comment on some factors that might be specific to where or how the different suppliers source their components, or ship the completed units.  In that context, each of the manufacturers will deal with sourcing and logistics as suits them, and also much depends on timing - when components might be delivered or units shipped.
As I have belaboured at some length, one characteristic that historians and contemporary commentators have noted is that it is a characteristic of Japanese society that leaders (political and commercial) are extremely reluctant to admit that things have turned to custard.  They are absolutely not alone in this, but it seems to be to be particularly associated with the sense of loss of face in such situations.  This tends to lead to silence when people would like an honest sitrep and admission, and a resulting further exacerbation of frustration by those left hanging.

So, in summary - I have provided a documented overview of the mayhem caused to global logistics in general, and the risks that those impose on the release of new technology.  Much depends on how each company sources their product, its timing in relation to the release of such, but I have not attempted to excuse the silence on the subject.

I will simply observe that when there is a vacuum of information or hard facts, it is human nature for people to fill that in with speculation and conspiracy theories as a reflection of frustration.  I would suggest that such a vacuum simply turns a technical issue into a matter of trust and that helps no-one.

cheers, TREVOR

It is that vacuum that is the problem.   It's one thing to say that there are "supply" issues but it's quite another to just string people along for six months banging on their credit cards with no clue what the schedule might be or even a prognostication as to how close delivery might be.

No debating that.

cheers, TREVOR

Apologies for the late response, some health issues and I missed your post.

Actually, from my experience there have been similar issues with other brands, but since their market share is significantly smaller there are fewer voices expressing their discontent.  I'm not disagreeing that this is frustrating, but given these factors impact a lot of other things that are more critical to people's wellbeing - I have seen issues in other contexts with medical equipment deliveries, for example. The first line of my signature is a truth - if your home is flooded, or flattened by a tornado, or you are made redundant and lose your job, a delayed lens will suddenly be somewhat less tragic.

The fact is we have become used to a world of predictability, convenience and fast service.  Well, as factors like climate change (example Panama Canal issue) and conflict (Hormuz Strait bottleneck) start to become more prevalent, you can expect more to disruption to come.  The world has changed a lot since the COVID outbreak - people are more stressed, and that is expressed as frustration, lack of tolerance, political extremism, anger and antisocial behaviour.   We see it a bit on this forum from people who come to rant rather than seek solutions or explanations.

While I do a lot of photography, I am not dependent on any one piece of equipment, and I am not going to get myself in a twist over something I cannot control. I believe photography is more about technique than tech, and since I functioned perfectly well before I knew this or that gear existed, I can continue to do so until it turns up or I consider it economically viable.

I never personally pre-order gear, and usually wait until it has had some field use before purchasing, that way I am not tapping my fingers waiting in anticipation, and it's a lot less stressful.  However, communication is a different issue and I agree that silence in these situations is not golden.  I have worked with multiple large companies and can attest that not sharing bad news is a fairly common human characteristic in business and politics, and there are challenges in doing so when there are major variations.  What if I issue a statement that such-and-such is critically delayed, but some folks get that item right away and then accuse the vendor of crying wolf?  I have seen that happen with weather predictions: predicted bad weather never comes and the agency gets rubbished, so it they be more reticent to issue a warning for the next weather event, and if they don't and it causes strife, they are pilloried again.  Furthermore, as I have also said, it seems to be a cultural characteristic of Japanese society in particular to hold back from the perceived shame of admitting an issue.

All I can say is that if you feel that Canon is acting poorly and think that another vendor will perform better in that context, then I would sincerely suggest moving to them - it's your right as a consumer to vote with your feet.  I shoot Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony and they are ALL great companies or they would not exist.  Just be aware switching platforms usually costs, so research their performance carefully.

cheers, TREVOR

Very thoughtful post. I will presume some frustration comes from YouTube posts. I have watched quite a few where the photographers were touting the 200-800 lens.

Where/how they got them is not always mentioned. My guess is that supply varies in whatever part of the globe you are standing on. I for one would like this for birding. Since my searches have come up fairly grim, I am moving along for now. I will continue to enjoy what I can learn from those offering their shots/videos, using whatever gear they have. And some do have those insanely priced prime lenses…. I can wait.👍🏼

mdougc
Enthusiast

If anyone is interested, I finally found the user's guide for this lens on Canon / Australia.
It is not available on Canon / USA.

RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM Instructions | Canon Australia

mDougC
Wildlife photographer - EOS R, R5 many lenses, LR Classic, Topaz, necessary gadgets

icecoldbier
Apprentice

I finally gave up waiting from Black Friday until last month. I found the lens in Canada. The authorized Canon dealer would not ship to the USA so I jumped on a 1 hour flight and spent a week enjoying Toronto. I came home with a great lens. Got a standard USA/Canada warranty, same price as USA. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements