cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s going on with the RF 200-800 backorder

LaneW
Enthusiast

Estimated shipping date was Dec 14.  I ordered through Adorama, and they just say that they are backordered.  Seems to be the same story ordering direct from Canon and other sellers.  What is really going on here?

Canon R5, 80D. EF 100-400 ii, 1.4 ii TC. RF 800 F/11. RF 24-105 F/4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Apologies for the late response, some health issues and I missed your post.

Actually, from my experience there have been similar issues with other brands, but since their market share is significantly smaller there are fewer voices expressing their discontent.  I'm not disagreeing that this is frustrating, but given these factors impact a lot of other things that are more critical to people's wellbeing - I have seen issues in other contexts with medical equipment deliveries, for example. The first line of my signature is a truth - if your home is flooded, or flattened by a tornado, or you are made redundant and lose your job, a delayed lens will suddenly be somewhat less tragic.

The fact is we have become used to a world of predictability, convenience and fast service.  Well, as factors like climate change (example Panama Canal issue) and conflict (Hormuz Strait bottleneck) start to become more prevalent, you can expect more to disruption to come.  The world has changed a lot since the COVID outbreak - people are more stressed, and that is expressed as frustration, lack of tolerance, political extremism, anger and antisocial behaviour.   We see it a bit on this forum from people who come to rant rather than seek solutions or explanations.

While I do a lot of photography, I am not dependent on any one piece of equipment, and I am not going to get myself in a twist over something I cannot control. I believe photography is more about technique than tech, and since I functioned perfectly well before I knew this or that gear existed, I can continue to do so until it turns up or I consider it economically viable.

I never personally pre-order gear, and usually wait until it has had some field use before purchasing, that way I am not tapping my fingers waiting in anticipation, and it's a lot less stressful.  However, communication is a different issue and I agree that silence in these situations is not golden.  I have worked with multiple large companies and can attest that not sharing bad news is a fairly common human characteristic in business and politics, and there are challenges in doing so when there are major variations.  What if I issue a statement that such-and-such is critically delayed, but some folks get that item right away and then accuse the vendor of crying wolf?  I have seen that happen with weather predictions: predicted bad weather never comes and the agency gets rubbished, so it they be more reticent to issue a warning for the next weather event, and if they don't and it causes strife, they are pilloried again.  Furthermore, as I have also said, it seems to be a cultural characteristic of Japanese society in particular to hold back from the perceived shame of admitting an issue.

All I can say is that if you feel that Canon is acting poorly and think that another vendor will perform better in that context, then I would sincerely suggest moving to them - it's your right as a consumer to vote with your feet.  I shoot Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony and they are ALL great companies or they would not exist.  Just be aware switching platforms usually costs, so research their performance carefully.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

61 REPLIES 61

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I understand that it may have just begun shipping to those who placed pre-orders.  Did you?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I pre ordered on the first day. But from Adorama, not Canon

Any information on this?

@LaneW wrote:

Any information on this?

Negative.  I do not work for Canon.  This is a User Forum.  I suggest that you contact your vendor, instead of social media.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

icecoldbier
Apprentice

I ordered the 200-800mm directly from Canon on Black Friday. MyCanon order page just says Backorder for this lens. No timeframe. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Unfortunately, we have no insight as to shipping and availability.  However, we absolutely understand the anticipation and buildup of new camera or in this case lens day.  I had to wait about a month for my R5 C.  In my case it was because I was out of town for business and waited a week to order. 

The RF 200-800 "re-appeared" briefly for order on B&H's website a few weeks ago.  I read this was due to people pulling the trigger, then changing their mind.  Not because there was anything wrong, but because of introductory hype.

I almost ordered one a few days after LaneW ordered.   I decided to wait since we don't have any travel plans, and I am more of a landscape and architecture shooter.  I also really like my 100-500 too.   

Adorama is showing an anticipated ship date of 2/2024

Ordinary Filmmaker  (youtube) states demand far exceeded expectations

Best Buy - Just says "Sold Out"

B&H - Taking orders, no ship date.  I have an auto-notify set for this retailer.  

DP Review- LaneW, I saw your post on the 200-800 availability thread 🙂

CanonPriceWatch - Just states shipping starts 12/14 

Hope you will receive confirmation soon.  The fact you ordered 11/2 should mean you'll be one of the first to receive your gear.  Waiting is hard, I understand.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

mdougc
Enthusiast

Canon.UK is estimating ship date of January 4th. What do they know that Canon.USA doesn't?

Buy Canon RF 200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM Lens — Canon UK Store

mDougC
Wildlife photographer - EOS R, R5 many lenses, LR Classic, Topaz, necessary gadgets

I wish I knew.  Adorama emailed me this morning, just telling me that my order is still back ordered, which I knew.  They tell me that they have no info and Canon sales was of no help either.  Seems that Canon is not being very transparent on this. Very frustrating.

@mdougc wrote:

Canon.UK is estimating ship date of January 4th. What do they know that Canon.USA doesn't?

Buy Canon RF 200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM Lens — Canon UK Store

Happy Holidays,

Respectfully, you're speculating or pitting one distribution channel with another.  Canon UK knows nothing different than USA, APAC, ANZED, etc.  Each region might have slightly different (anticipated) delivery dates.  General availability started 12/14.  So even if retailers had product available, it couldn't be made available until that date.  Christmas is one of the busiest shipping times of the year

Like most manufacturers, Canon has the sales data it needs in order to make a initial production projection.  It involves supply chain and manufacturing.  They get commitments and production begins.  Based on this they advertise and star taking pre-orders. 

The 200-800 (example) is probably going to be one of Canon's best selling lenses ever.  Canon isn't limited financially so I'm sure they allocated whatever was needed in order to ensure an adequate number of lenses would be available at release.  Canon is a leader.  They did over a trillion dollars of revenue in the last 12-18 months. 

Demand for this lens exceeded expectations.  Good for Canon.  Not good for those eagerly waiting for their lenses.  I know they are being manufactured as quickly as possible.  We are talking millions of lenses. 

This article is a few years old:

Canon celebrates significant milestone with production of 150 million interchangeable RF and EF lens...

It demonstrates the scale and commitment of Canon's production.  Delivery dates are anticipated.  Most are going to be set to manage expectations effectively.  Under promise, over deliver.  If you say next week and it takes a month, people aren't happy.  If you say next month and send it next week, people are happy. 

I'm not making excuses.  There are any number of possible reasons why there are delays.  Part of it could be demand.  Some of it could be due to a supplier failing to deliver what they promised.  Its also not exactly safe to be boating in the Red Sea at the moment.  2 wars going on.  I think Canon is probably doing a good job considering.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements