cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tele extenders

FredSchall
Contributor

I would like to purchase a Canon tele extender. Do I want a 1.4x or 2x and do I want series II or series III. Advantages, disadvantages? Thoughts? No big deal on series? Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"How about the 1.4 on a 100-400 ef usm II. ??"

I wouldn't do it personally but some guys tell me it works fairly well. Also John's advice, which I totally agree with, is using a top of the line camera. When you start adding a tel-con that makes s huge difference. I don't remember what camera, perhaps you said, that you are using this on.

I would go the crop route first before you spend your money. You may be well satisfied. Go d/l DPP4 and try it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"How about the 1.4 on a 100-400 ef usm II. ??"

I wouldn't do it personally but some guys tell me it works fairly well. Also John's advice, which I totally agree with, is using a top of the line camera. When you start adding a tel-con that makes s huge difference. I don't remember what camera, perhaps you said, that you are using this on.

I would go the crop route first before you spend your money. You may be well satisfied. Go d/l DPP4 and try it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Fred, the answer also depends on your intended use.  Any extender will somewhat reduce autofocus performance, it isn't just the extender adding to the overhead of the AF algorithm but also the fact that you are losing one or two stops of light which reduces AF speed due to reduced performance of the AF sensor in lower light.  So it is more of a problem for action shots like sports or wildlife.  AF on the better bodies will still work quite well but not as well as they do without the extender so it is one of the compromises you have to consider.

I have a couple of flavors of the Canon 1.4X (versions II and III) and both work pretty well with my EF 70-200 f2.8  and fast telephoto primes. I usually keep the 1.4X in a bag with me in case some unexpected need comes up but the only times I have used it in the last few years was for a few baseball games combined with the 400 f2.8 when shooting batters from behind the outfield fence and with my 800 f5.6 when shooting eagles and that combination requires a lot of collaboration between the camera and user to have the subject in focus at the exact point and time needed.

I also have a Canon 2X and although it can produce decent images with the EF 300 and EF 400 f2.8 glass, the images are clearly impaired compared to what these extremely sharp lenses can produce by themselves.  The results with a 2X will be far worse on lesser glass and I would avoid the 2X.  Also, a lot of camera body/lens combinations won't autofocus with a 2X extender.

Realistically, if you feel you are going to be using the extender for a very large percentage of your photos then you need to compare the extender/lens combination to the results from one of the 150-600 setups.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you so much for you terrific and very thorough explanation. I really appreciate it.

Take care. Fred

Thank you so much for your terrific and very thorough explanation. I really appreciate it.

Take care. Fred

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements