cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk me out of buying the canon 50 mm 1.2

Hinata
Apprentice

Hello everyone,,

I want 2 lenses in my arsenal a great zoom and a great prime.

I have a great zoom and now if like to get a great prime, and I love the 50mm f range. I own the 50 1.4 and it's ok but...

It's rather expensive and while I do have the means I'm kind is in the middle.

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

I recommend you look into the Sigma Art 1.4.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The EF 50 f1.2 is unquestionably a great and special lens but it isn't something most photographers are going to get more out of than they do a good 50 f1.4

I second John's recommendation of the Sigma 50 f1.4 Art, it is a very impressive lens.  I own several expensive Canon fast primes from the 800 f5.6 down to the 200 f2 and quite a few of their mid range primes along with their great pair of f2.8 zooms.  The Sigma Art is the only non-Canon lens I have cared to own and it continues to impress me.

I spend most of my time shooting sports so I tend to be at the other end of the focal length range and don't use wider lenses as often.  If I really needed a 50 f1.2 for the light gathering and very shallow depth of field it provides at f1.2 then I would buy one.  But I don't need those f1.2 capabilities and the optical quality of my Sigma 50 f1.4 in no way disappoints me and I am one of "those people" who owns 200, 300, and 400mm fast primes because they are optically better and faster focusing than zoom lenses in that focal length range.  And I was not happy with the Canon 50 f1.4, the Sigma is a different and better animal.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I second John's recommendation of the Sigma 50 f1.4 Art, it is a very impressive lens."

The Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art may be the sharpest lens made.  It is certainly near or on top of the list.  Only giving way to the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, perhaps.

I had the Sigma Art and sold it for the fantastic and unique ef 50mm f1.2L.  There are two things that you need to know about it. One, there is nothing like f1.2 at 50mm. And, if you need f1.2 it has it and the Siggy doesn't!  No other 50mil lens I know of has f1.2.  Reasonable lens that is. Second, this is not a lens you will pick up and run with.  It takes some time to learn its idiosyncrasies. A fast shallow f1.2 takes some time for best results.

Is it as sharp as the Sigma Art 50mil?  No, but sharpness is only one spec of any lens has. You must take the entire package in to account when you buy lenses.  Some people, perhaps even John and Rodger, get caught up on the sharpness of lens and fail to see the rest. Don't get me wrong the 50mm f1.2L is plenty sharp.

Personally I am not a fan of 50mm. Basically because it is a more difficult FL to use unless you have a specific purpose for it.  At one time the 50mm was king.  All 35mm film cameras came with it so I have extensive experience with 50mm. However, that old question, what would be the last lens you would ever sell or get rid of?  The ef 50mm f1.2L would certainly be a top candidate onmy list.  I love it and I also love its big brother the ef 85mm f1.2l.  Did I say there is nothing like f1.2?

Yes, I did sell my Sigma 85mm Art f1.4, too!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I second John's recommendation of the Sigma 50 f1.4 Art, it is a very impressive lens."

The Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art may be the sharpest lens made.  It is certainly near or on top of the list.  Only giving way to the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, perhaps.

I had the Sigma Art and sold it for the fantastic and unique ef 50mm f1.2L.  There are two things that you need to know about it. One, there is nothing like f1.2 at 50mm. And, if you need f1.2 it has it and the Siggy doesn't!  No other 50mil lens I know of has f1.2.  Reasonable lens that is. Second, this is not a lens you will pick up and run with.  It takes some time to learn its idiosyncrasies. A fast shallow f1.2 takes some time for best results.

Is it as sharp as the Sigma Art 50mil?  No, but sharpness is only one spec of any lens has. You must take the entire package in to account when you buy lenses.  Some people, perhaps even John and Rodger, get caught up on the sharpness of lens and fail to see the rest. Don't get me wrong the 50mm f1.2L is plenty sharp.

Personally I am not a fan of 50mm. Basically because it is a more difficult FL to use unless you have a specific purpose for it.  At one time the 50mm was king.  All 35mm film cameras came with it so I have extensive experience with 50mm. However, that old question, what would be the last lens you would ever sell or get rid of?  The ef 50mm f1.2L would certainly be a top candidate onmy list.  I love it and I also love its big brother the ef 85mm f1.2l.  Did I say there is nothing like f1.2?

Yes, I did sell my Sigma 85mm Art f1.4, too!  Smiley Happy

Actually, I have the Canon 50mm f/1.2 and do not have the Sigma f/1.4. Everything you said about the 1.2 is why I recommend the 1.4 for the OP. It is a very special lens and not one I would recommend for someone who just wants two very good lenses. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"It is a very special lens and not one I would recommend for someone who just wants two very good lenses."

And neither do I, that is why I added the caveat.  It is a lens that takes some time to learn.  Some will never master it. The fact remains if you don't use the f1.2 aperture, the big 50mil isn't really any different than any other 50mm. Perhaps a bit slower to AF but certainly adequate. It is heavier, too, but you don't get that big piece of glass without weight.

When comparing the f1.2 to the f1.4 50 mil's, which is not a stellar performer, BTW, the ef 50mm f1.2L wins every time in my book.

You'er not one of those that struggle to use the ef 50mm f1.2L are you, John? Smiley Wink One note further if the 50mm f1.2L gives you trouble, don't even consider the ef 85 mm f1.2L.  It doubles the quirks easily. If you need f1.2, you need f1.2.  These two lenses are unique.

EB

I'm on the struggler side of the line Smiley Happy

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Amen!  Been there!

EB

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

I have the Canon 50mm f/1. 2 I will agree with Ernie and John, it is a lense that will take me some time to utilize to the best of my ability, and likely never master.

I have zero regrets and like using it.

f/1.2 It is a world in and of itself, I think what amazes me most is I would think the difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 would be minimal, definately not the case.

Perhaps my line of thinking is not correct, however its really to cold out so why not...

One would ask Why did you buy a f/1.2 and then use it at f\2.8, you could have saved a lot of money and just bought an f/2.8, well its all about options.

And if I am wrong let me have it..in order to construct a lense capable of f/1.2 the overall compnents require a level of precision that are higher than one say f/4.5, therfore the IQ of the lens should be slightly better across all of the f ranges.

I use the lens on the Canon 5DsR, I will not talk you out of it, but then I collect L series Lenses, because I like to experiment, think of it this way, you will forever wish you did...

I also own the EF 50mm f/1.2L and once I move to the RF system of lenses, the RF 50mm f/1.2L will be the first I purchase.   Though not looking forward to the much larger size and weight.

The reason I went for the f/1.2 over the 1.4 was for the following:

• I don't shoot professionally, so I'm not required to have common lenses such as say a 24-70. More on that below.
  • Weather sealing
  • My first DSLR had a kit lens (18-135mm), but found myself very near the 50mm FOV on full frame around 90% the time.  Due to the experiment, I only needed one lens when moving up to full frame, so had more budget.
  • Minimal DOF possible (I really like that look).  Technically the EF f/1.8 can get a tad thinner DOF at minimal focusing distance since the 1.8 can get as close as 35 cm whereas both the 1.4 and 1.2 are at 45 cm.  RF decreases this a bit; 1.8 now at 30 cm and 1.2 at 40 cm.  But the 1.2 brings in twice the light of a 1.8, so the 1.8 was never an option for me.

Absolutely no regrets in my purchase.  It was actually the only lens ever attached to my EOS 6D and later 5D IV.

Used it exclusivelty from 2014 up to 2019 when I finally added a second lens; the 135mm f/2L.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements