cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting hyperfocal distance

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I know this is a bit old fashioned, but any ideas on how to set hyperfocal distamce on a lens - like my new 18-135 STM - that does not have a distance scale?

18 REPLIES 18

ezpop
Rising Star

There are some apps for free. See if thing like this will help to solve your problem

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aimenrg.dof&hl=en

Not exactly. I don't want to *determine* the hyperfocal distance, I want to *set* it. On my 17-85 I have a rudimentary distance scale that I can use in manual mode to get in the ball park. The 18-135 has no distance scale.

I use AF to get in the ball park, and then I shut it off.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That was one of my options, find an object you think is the correct distance and focus on it with AF, and switch to MF.

It would be nice if there was a custom function to allow one of the buttons to be used as a "set hyper focal" since the camera has all the info it needs to calculate and set it. Would be great for night shots when AF doesn't work well, or astrophotography. (Canon: Hint, Hint)

TCampbell is the astrophotography guru around here.  Tim has posted a suggestion on how to best focus your lens for taking a wide angle shot of the night sky.  Basically, you use different exposure settings to focus from what you would use to shoot.  I saved the settings as a custom shooting mode.

I'll probably get it wrong, but here goes.  You want to focus on the brightest star in the sky.  My saved settings are f/8, maximum ISO setting, and a 30 second exposure, which is also the maximum.  You need to focus manually.  Once you're focused, change the settings to what you would use for taking a shot.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... any ideas on how to set hyperfocal distamce on a lens ..."

Can you explain why you want to do this?  That may make it more clear on how to do what you need.  There is a reason why camera lens makers have eliminated the scales on lenses.  Mostly it isn't required any more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

While I was thinking about the aerial night shot thread, I realized - and I suggested in the thread - that setting the lens to the hyperfocal distance would work well for that case and eliminate missed shots due to the camera being unable to focus.  The other reason, as I said, is to set infinity focus for star field shot.

I have the same question/issue. Neither of my lenses have MF markings on barrel. Would like to more accurately set MF to get front to back sharpness in wide-angle landscapes with near f/g objects. Focusing 1/3 into frame isn't getting me there.

Cheers!

Rebel T5i

Nifty 50

Ef-s 55-250mm STM

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... any ideas on how to set hyperfocal distamce on a lens ..."

Can you explain why you want to do this?  That may make it more clear on how to do what you need.  There is a reason why camera lens makers have eliminated the scales on lenses.  Mostly it isn't required any more.

Maybe you should buy an actual wide angle lens.  Your 50mm prime and telephoto zoom are not wide angle.  I recommend trying out a budget wide angle, manual focus lens, like the Robinson 14mm f/2.8.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements