cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-18mm ef-s lens -uv filter

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hi guys got myself this lens for photographing rooms in propertys.

The thing is I am not sure on this but need a little advise I put a normal dg 67mm filter on and I think I can see the filter in the lower left corner is it me imagining it or is this whats happening at 10mm I prefer using sigma filters rather than low profile ones.  The lens caps never seem to go on right when I use low profile filters. any way what do you think?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Using a UV filter indoors is of limited value.  Every lens has a filter factor, which tells you how many stops of light that you lose when using it on your lens.  Most UV filters are rated at 1, which is 0 stops.  I use filters primarily for protection outdoors.

Low profile filters typcially lack enough of a rim to attach most lens caps.  It is possible that you could be seeing the effects of the filter when the lens is wide open.  Take test shots with and without the lens.  Post samples, if you can.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

sorry about this it was me not screwing the filter all the way in but their does seem t be vignetting at the bottom 2 corners i will post an example later

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

sorry about this it was me not screwing the filter all the way in but their does seem t be vignetting at the bottom 2 corners i will post an example later

The answer is obvious: don't use the filter. You don't need it for the type of photography you're doing. At best, it's doing you little or no harm, but it isn't doing you any good.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... any way what do you think?"

IMHO, filters are obsolete.  Smiley Frustrated

I almost never use one any longer.  Not for years and years.  For the most part they are not required. However, there are some limited places where they can be helpful.  Number one on this short list is lens protection.

Secondly ND and polarizing filters can be useful.  But that is it, otherwise they are a thing that belongs in the past.

PS.  People that say you don't need protecto filters do not take photos of little kids.  But a room in one of your 'properties' isn't gong to stick its little fingers in the hood of your lens!  So why use it at all?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements