cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving my poker winnings for a 150-600mm lens

JFG
Rising Star

I know some have the Sigma 150-600mm 5-6-3 Contemporary DH OS HSM LENS for canon R and would like to get some input on the pros and cons.  Thanks  JFG

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes there is no good reason to buy the Sport model if you don't feel you need the extra build. The Sport is as tough as they come and completely weather proof. It may have a tiny bit better IQ, too but it isn't much if at all. The Tamron G2 does have better IQ but again not a great deal better. Like I said buying today I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. When I bought the Siggy Sport the Tamron G2 wasn't on the market yet. Perhaps if it was I may have bought it. It is a better lens than the Siggy C but the C is a fine lens and we are really splitting hairs on this better IQ thing.  You or anyone will be totally happy with the Sigma C. The big advantage is the G2 is weather sealed and the C is not or at least not anywhere close to the G2.  If that's important to you, you want the G2.. The Tamron G2 is more expensive by a few hundred bucks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Right... well, sort of...
First, it started raining as I got to the zoo: not an auspicious beginning, but I persevered after seeking solace in the café with a coffee.  Then I found the camera settings were completely screwed and I eventually remembered I had allowed someone to look at it and was distracted for about a minute.  In that time they managed to completely scramble the settings and lost my custom backup profiles.  So, after another coffee and some time rejigging I finally made it out.  Here are some of the results.
All taken with the Canon EOS R6MkII, Sigma 150-600c, hand-held, available light, single point AF, single point metering, BBF, BBE, Auto eye tracking in servo mode...

Apart from the initial disasters, the camera + lens combination worked quite well.  I had some poor images caused by distractions (like people walking in front of me), but overall I would say that the lens worked consistently with the camera and my (corrected) settings.

Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250

Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

Right... well, sort of...
First, it started raining as I got to the zoo: not an auspicious beginning, but I persevered after seeking solace in the café with a coffee.  Then I found the camera settings were completely screwed and I eventually remembered I had allowed someone to look at it and was distracted for about a minute.  In that time they managed to completely scramble the settings and lost my custom backup profiles.  So, after another coffee and some time rejigging I finally made it out.  Here are some of the results.
All taken with the Canon EOS R6MkII, Sigma 150-600c, hand-held, available light, single point AF, single point metering, BBF, BBE, Auto eye tracking in servo mode...

Apart from the initial disasters, the camera + lens combination worked quite well.  I had some poor images caused by distractions (like people walking in front of me), but overall I would say that the lens worked consistently with the camera and my (corrected) settings.

Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250

Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Wow, nice shots, Trevor !  A picture really is worth a thousand words.  In this case 9 pictures are worth more than words can describe  !  Thank you for going out and taking pictures with the R6 Mark II and Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.  I can see for myself that the combo works great !  👍   

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Your appreciation is appreciated! 🙂

This, and the other test sets I have taken will, I hope, mean that the merits of one lens over another are not impacted by compatibility with the R6II, but can be then considered for their inherent merits.
For me, the criteria for choices come down to budget, subject, and output.
When I have been looking, in the context of wildlife photography, my choices have been:
The Canon EF 100--400MkII, the Sigma 150-600c, Sigma 150-600s, Sigma 60-600s, Tamron 150-600 G2, Canon RF 100-500L
I did not try the Tamron, not because it is a bad unit - I knew and respected Ernie's opinion on this, but also looked at in-depth reviews, and the consensus was that there were pro's and con's for each and they were roughly equal. In the end the decider was because the Tamron was unavailable in my little corner of the world when I was going through this exercise, also I was familiar with Sigma lenses and have the docking station.
So, I chose the two Sigmas:150-600c and 60-600s, and the Canon 100-500L - I already have the EF 100-400L MkII.

Of all of those, without doubt IMHO, the best performer on a R-series body is the RF 100-500, but that comes at a hefty price and one could get any two of the other lenses for the same investment and likely still have money left over.  Still, I could afford to indulge myself so I got that as well!  If one had to choose one lens, considering range, value for money and quality, I would seriously consider the 150-600 (either Tamron or Sigma) or the 60-600s (which is an amazing optic).   If budget was not great issue, then the 100-500 comes to the fore.

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I know you don't like me to comment and you don't want me to but once again your talent and the photos are brilliant.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you Ernie for your kind words.   When I have the energy to express myself properly I shall PM you.  Just know I don't hate you or anything.

cheers, TREVOR

Hello EB, Trevor and all that posted,

I followed up and researched for a comparison between the Sigma 150-600mm Sport vs the Tamron 150-600mm G2 and came across this on YouTube:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWC_1_BhGKo     Please watch it till the end and let me know what you guys think of the video and methodology used for the comparison..

The current price for the Sigma 150-600mm Contemp is US $919.00; for the Sigma 150-600mm Sport is $1999.00 and for the Tamron G2 is $1299.00..   All three lenses are relatively  close in terms of optics and performance.  Also all three lenses have their pros and cons.  To me, the weight of all three lenses is inconsequential.  I'm pretty fit and lift 💪 weights to stay in shape so I can hand hold any of them all day and some.  What I care for is performance, consistency and picture quality, not to mention a bang for the buck. This brings me to a choice between the Sigma Contemp and the Sigma Sport.  The difference in price between the two is $1000.00 US and I could  buy 2 Contemps for the price of 1 Sports with $200,00 leftover.  So I think that I'll save that US$1200.00 to purchase the Canon RF 100-500mm lens that sells for USD $2699.00  at a later date ..  If the price difference between the Contemporary and the Sport weren't so steep, I would go for the Sport.  From what I can assess, the picture quality is are pretty close between the two, with the ability of the fotographer making the difference if any.  To me an additional $1000.00 for a built like a tank construction is not worth it, unless I were going to war..  Those are my thoughts on the matter which were made possible by all of those that posted their opinions on the subject..   Since you all were so kind to take the time to post your thoughts, comments and pictures to help me with my decision, I felt that it would only be right to let you all know my conclusion..   Cheers to all and Thanks,  Joe

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

JFG
Rising Star

Having said all the aforementioned, I have to admit that the Tamron G2 has some features that I like better than the Sigma Contemporary and vis a vis.  Such as the focusing ring, on the Sigma C is narrow vs a wider one on the Tamron G2.   As for the AF on the Sigma being slightly slower than the Tamron, I think that the AF on the Canon R6 MII makes up for the difference.  It really is a tough decision. However, after seeing the pics Trevor posted, which he took using a R6 Mark II and a Sigma Contemporary, I was definitely swayed to go with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemp...   I will get it unless a good deal comes up for a new Sigma Sport..  The only lenses that I would consider buying refurbished are Canon lenses from Canon USA.

Cheers, Joe

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

I would consider the significance of the a docking station for a Sigma or Tamron lens.  I think that makes a big difference, as one can use it to install firmware updates onto all Sigma or Tamron lenses you are considering.  It can also be used to tweak a lot of performance elements of the lenses - focus sensitivity, focus speed etc.  I have it for the Sigmas and also used it to program and tune the custom options available on my Sigma lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

HI Trevor,  I did consider the docking station for the Sigma C and I agree it does make a lot of difference.  I will definitely get it.  In one of the comparison between the Sigma C and Tamron G2 it was mentioned that Tamron doesn't have a docking station.  I'm not sure if that has changed or Tamron still doesn't offer one.  

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

I was not aware of one, but a search found that there is a thread on this site that refers to one Compatibility Issues with Tamron 150-600 G2 with R... - Canon Community.

Even if there is one, that simple evens out that element.

cheers, TREVOR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements