cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving my poker winnings for a 150-600mm lens

JFG
Rising Star

I know some have the Sigma 150-600mm 5-6-3 Contemporary DH OS HSM LENS for canon R and would like to get some input on the pros and cons.  Thanks  JFG

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes there is no good reason to buy the Sport model if you don't feel you need the extra build. The Sport is as tough as they come and completely weather proof. It may have a tiny bit better IQ, too but it isn't much if at all. The Tamron G2 does have better IQ but again not a great deal better. Like I said buying today I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. When I bought the Siggy Sport the Tamron G2 wasn't on the market yet. Perhaps if it was I may have bought it. It is a better lens than the Siggy C but the C is a fine lens and we are really splitting hairs on this better IQ thing.  You or anyone will be totally happy with the Sigma C. The big advantage is the G2 is weather sealed and the C is not or at least not anywhere close to the G2.  If that's important to you, you want the G2.. The Tamron G2 is more expensive by a few hundred bucks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Right... well, sort of...
First, it started raining as I got to the zoo: not an auspicious beginning, but I persevered after seeking solace in the café with a coffee.  Then I found the camera settings were completely screwed and I eventually remembered I had allowed someone to look at it and was distracted for about a minute.  In that time they managed to completely scramble the settings and lost my custom backup profiles.  So, after another coffee and some time rejigging I finally made it out.  Here are some of the results.
All taken with the Canon EOS R6MkII, Sigma 150-600c, hand-held, available light, single point AF, single point metering, BBF, BBE, Auto eye tracking in servo mode...

Apart from the initial disasters, the camera + lens combination worked quite well.  I had some poor images caused by distractions (like people walking in front of me), but overall I would say that the lens worked consistently with the camera and my (corrected) settings.

Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250

Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

Trevor, check out this link to a comparison of the Tamron G2 and the Sigma Contemp..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWC_1_BhGKo

Let me know what you think.

Joe

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Yep, I have viewed it and it seems to chime with my own experiences and preferences.  As the reviewer implied, one can get only so much from looking at lens charts and a significant element is the conditions under which images are shot in the real world - encompassing the camera, environment and photographer's technique, setup and skill - which will always have, IMHO, a major impact.

Definitely, with the RF100-500 you get what you pay for.  I have used it in 1.3 and 1.6 crop mode on my R5 with great results - another reason why I am not in a hurry to get an APS-C body.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I agree, you get what you pay for. The Canon RF 100-500 is a great lens which I will get next.  In the meantime while I save up my winnings, I need something with distance to play with.  I also agree with the reviewers comments and methodology.  

Cheers, Joe

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

These shots display the Trevor I once knew. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements