cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving my poker winnings for a 150-600mm lens

JFG
Rising Star

I know some have the Sigma 150-600mm 5-6-3 Contemporary DH OS HSM LENS for canon R and would like to get some input on the pros and cons.  Thanks  JFG

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes there is no good reason to buy the Sport model if you don't feel you need the extra build. The Sport is as tough as they come and completely weather proof. It may have a tiny bit better IQ, too but it isn't much if at all. The Tamron G2 does have better IQ but again not a great deal better. Like I said buying today I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. When I bought the Siggy Sport the Tamron G2 wasn't on the market yet. Perhaps if it was I may have bought it. It is a better lens than the Siggy C but the C is a fine lens and we are really splitting hairs on this better IQ thing.  You or anyone will be totally happy with the Sigma C. The big advantage is the G2 is weather sealed and the C is not or at least not anywhere close to the G2.  If that's important to you, you want the G2.. The Tamron G2 is more expensive by a few hundred bucks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Right... well, sort of...
First, it started raining as I got to the zoo: not an auspicious beginning, but I persevered after seeking solace in the café with a coffee.  Then I found the camera settings were completely screwed and I eventually remembered I had allowed someone to look at it and was distracted for about a minute.  In that time they managed to completely scramble the settings and lost my custom backup profiles.  So, after another coffee and some time rejigging I finally made it out.  Here are some of the results.
All taken with the Canon EOS R6MkII, Sigma 150-600c, hand-held, available light, single point AF, single point metering, BBF, BBE, Auto eye tracking in servo mode...

Apart from the initial disasters, the camera + lens combination worked quite well.  I had some poor images caused by distractions (like people walking in front of me), but overall I would say that the lens worked consistently with the camera and my (corrected) settings.

Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250

Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You are correct, many of us have the 150-600c or S (sports).  Its the last Sigma lens I still have, and is great for birds and wildlife.  It has great reach and performs very well adapted to RF.  

Shooting with a tripod or monopod is recommended.  Its definitely a "heavyweight" in the boxing ring.  AF tracking and focus acquisition is nearly as good and fast as Canon glass.  Its an excellent value and very reasonable price wise.  I'm sure others will have some photos to share.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your input, Rick .

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have already dealt with this in, what I hope is some depth, via a PM exchange.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor 😊 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Trevor, I looked for your pm exchange and for some reason I can't find it.  Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places !   😕   Still learning this site 🙂

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

That is because the thing didn't send.  I will re-write it and post again, but much of what I said in that is in my last response on this thread.

cheers, TREVOR

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I don't use the R series cameras but I bought this Sigma lens a little over a year ago primarily as a reasonable weight hiking lens.  It performs far better than I expected and I have been impressed with the results.

I use it primarily with 1DX II and III bodies and with those, the balance is excellent.  I shoot primarily handheld and it works well for me handheld.  Note that I shoot a lot of sports using 1DX series bodies handheld with 400 f2.8 and 200-400 f4 glass so my perception of lens weight might be a little skewed 🙂

The stabilizer seems to work well and focus is fast.  It isn't quite as quick or sure in capturing focus as my EF 800 f5.6 but the Sigma is FAR lighter and a tiny fraction of the cost of the big Canon lens.  I don't mind hand holding the EF 800 for 5 minutes or so on subject but I definitely don't care for hiking in the mountains with it while the Sigma is easy to live with.

I think that you would be very happy with the lens. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Roger, do you have the Contemporary or the Sport ?  Thanks for your input 🙂

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

JFG,

I bought the contemporary.  The sport should provide better quality but the contemporary is surprisingly good.

Images below were taken right after I unboxed the lens, I was doing a quick check before leaving on a vacation later that week.  It was heavily overcast and started pouring a few minutes after I captured these which forced the ISO pretty high, IQ would have been better under better lighting.  It is a very impressive lens for the price.

Rodger

1DX III, Sigma 150-600C, f6.3, 600mm, 1/1250, ISO 6,4001DX III, Sigma 150-600C, f6.3, 600mm, 1/1250, ISO 6,4001DX III, Sigma 150-600C, f6.3, 600mm, 1/1000, ISO 10,0001DX III, Sigma 150-600C, f6.3, 600mm, 1/1000, ISO 10,0001DX III, Sigma 150-600C, f6.3, 600mm, 1/1250, ISO 4,0001DX III, Sigma 150-600C, f6.3, 600mm, 1/1250, ISO 4,000

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
click here to view the gallery
Announcements