cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving my poker winnings for a 150-600mm lens

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

I know some have the Sigma 150-600mm 5-6-3 Contemporary DH OS HSM LENS for canon R and would like to get some input on the pros and cons.  Thanks  JFG

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes there is no good reason to buy the Sport model if you don't feel you need the extra build. The Sport is as tough as they come and completely weather proof. It may have a tiny bit better IQ, too but it isn't much if at all. The Tamron G2 does have better IQ but again not a great deal better. Like I said buying today I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. When I bought the Siggy Sport the Tamron G2 wasn't on the market yet. Perhaps if it was I may have bought it. It is a better lens than the Siggy C but the C is a fine lens and we are really splitting hairs on this better IQ thing.  You or anyone will be totally happy with the Sigma C. The big advantage is the G2 is weather sealed and the C is not or at least not anywhere close to the G2.  If that's important to you, you want the G2.. The Tamron G2 is more expensive by a few hundred bucks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Right... well, sort of...
First, it started raining as I got to the zoo: not an auspicious beginning, but I persevered after seeking solace in the café with a coffee.  Then I found the camera settings were completely screwed and I eventually remembered I had allowed someone to look at it and was distracted for about a minute.  In that time they managed to completely scramble the settings and lost my custom backup profiles.  So, after another coffee and some time rejigging I finally made it out.  Here are some of the results.
All taken with the Canon EOS R6MkII, Sigma 150-600c, hand-held, available light, single point AF, single point metering, BBF, BBE, Auto eye tracking in servo mode...

Apart from the initial disasters, the camera + lens combination worked quite well.  I had some poor images caused by distractions (like people walking in front of me), but overall I would say that the lens worked consistently with the camera and my (corrected) settings.

Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Female Sumatran Tiger: 403mm, f/7.1, 1/80sec, ISO-100Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Kakariki in bush: 600mm, f/6.3, 1/160sec, ISO-6400Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 451mm, f/6.3, 1/500sec, ISO-3200Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800Male Cheetah: 215mm, f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-800600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640600mm, f/6.3, 1/640sec, ISO-640Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250Late Bloomer: f/5.6, 1/320sec, ISO-250

Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Nyala: 374mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-800Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Australian Love Birds: 600mm, f/7.1, 1/640sec, ISO-5000Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160Lion at Lunch: 600mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-160

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

Nice pics, Roger..  Thanks for sharing.   I looked at the Sporting,  but I'm more interested in the Contemporary due to its lighter weight.  I already have a Canon EF-EOS R  adapter so once I get enough winnings I'll purchase it.   🙂

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Buying today with my poker winnings, I would check out the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 before I bought the Sigma C. It is a slightly better lens but slightly more money, too.

I know all people are different but I find the Sigma C or the Tamron G2 to be quite handholdable. I shoot the Sigma S and I do it handholdable.

EB

Thanks for the referral, EB.  I'll also check out the Tamron G2 to compare.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have that lens for my T7 in the Contemporary version. I am happy with it. As mentioned, one needs to use a tripod or monopod.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Much depends on one's physical status. 

Personally, while I have both tripods and monopods, I generally shoot hand-held to get the speed of location and tracking of my subjects.  Since most of my work is with telephoto  lenses that, by their very nature, are heavier I do weight training so I can easily handle them - and that imperative is also very good for my general health as loss of muscle mass is a real challenge for us as we get older, and I am approaching 71. 

The Sigma 150-600c is relatively lightweight at 1,830g compared to my 60-600s at 2,700g.  A lot depends on technique - I don't stand for long periods with arms extended and the lens against my face, I have the lens in ported mode, cradled against my chest in such a position that I can bring it up within a second and shoot.   I actually saw this technique being taught by a Ukrainian master sergeant to a newbie on the front line when he was at the ready with his assault rifle.

There are many reviews out there from folks who have used the Sigma, and some comparing it to the Tamron (which I have not used, but respect Ernie's experience). 
sigma 150-600mm contemporary - YouTube  one of the most detailed is that from Dustin Abbott:
Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 OS Contemporary Super Telephoto Review - YouTube

Since Joe is using the Canon EOS R6MkII, one of the biggest questions is how the lens (and any EF mount alternative) will work on his MILC camera.  There has been a fair bit of traffic about the performance of the Sigma 150-600c in particular in that context - given its popularity, especially from people using the Canon EOS R7. 

There have been some complaints that the camera/lens combo causes focus 'pulsing', where the system goes rapidly in and out of focus.  The initial postings of this by Australian photographer Duade Paton, where he conducted a fairly unscientific experiment with one body and a borrowed lens were (as usual with the web) amplified significantly in responding posts.

I spent some time and effort looking at this situation.  First, from what I understand Mr Paton's experiment involved one camera and one lens with one system configuration and technique.  He was shooting on a tripod, with OIS and IBIS active, using Eye tracking and multi-point metering, and with the shutter set to fully electronic at 30 fps.  To my knowledge he did not try other variations.  While I respect his effort, my conclusion is that this is a very specific set of elements and does not constitute an experiment from which one can make valid generalizations.   

Sigma went out of their way to produce a video demonstrating that their 150-600c (amongst others) worked fine with a Canon R6 body and I posted about this: Sigma Video on their lenses adapted to the RF moun... - Page 2 - Canon Community  Like Mr Paton's experiment, this could be considered fairly unscientific, but that video indicated that the system worked fine and what is more significant is they put their name behind that statement.  What is apparent to me is that the two used very different methodologies.  The Sigma demonstration used the R6, a FF sensor with a much more modest pixel density than that of the R7 (20MP for the R6 vs 82MP [equivalent] for the R7). 

They shot hand-held and this, combined with the pixel density is significant, because those pixels are used for focusing and there is a lot more data for the system to process for that.  My suspicion is that the pulsing the R7 is caused by the multi-point autofocus switching rapidly between tiny elements on the subject deciding to get a lock or not as the OIS generates tiny movements in the light getting to the R7 sensor.  Furthermore, there is some evidence that with the R7, turning of OIS and leaving the IBIS (or vice versa) produces a more reliable solution. Finally, shooting at 30 fps full electronic is problematic on the R7 because its data bus is just not up to keeping up with the huge amount of data running through at 30fps, and this alone accounts for significant rolling shutter as the image is refreshed down the sensor when viewing a moving object, but this signal latency could also account for focus pulsing as the sensor attempts to refresh the rows in rapid succession.  This deserves more research...

However, my general point is that the R7 is a very different beast from an R6 or R6II.  The pixel densities are massively lower, and the R6 and R7 series have a better focusing system designed for FF.  The R7 used a modified version of the R3 focus system, which was designed for a FF 23MP sensor and thus a very different beast.  I have never experienced pulsing with the R6 bodies or my 45MP R5, and I have shot quite a few images with that lens body combo.  However, my methodology is quite different: single point focus, with eye tracking, hand-held, 12 fps mechanical shutter.  Using a much reduced number of focus points puts a lot less throughput as regards processing of tracking data.  As long as I get the initial lock, the system stays in focus.

I fully appreciate that my method is mine and others may use different setups, so it would be interesting to see specific information from members shooting with the R6 and R6II, using the Sigma 150-600c to comment on their experience, and detail their shooting setups. 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor, thank you for your thorough response.  Specially your thoughts on; "Since Joe is using the Canon EOS R6MkII, one of the biggest questions is how the lens (and any EF mount alternative) will work on his MILC camera. "  Yes,  I'd like to hear from those that are using the Contemporary on a R6MIi body with a Canon EF-EOS R adapter.   Also went through the links that you posted; the Sigma vid on using the Contemporary on an R6 Body was interesting.  However because it was done by Sigma, I wonder how much was for mktng. I think that I will wait and see how long my poker luck holds out. In the meantime hope to get a response from someone using the lens with a R6MII body..   Cheers, Joe 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

FWIW, I do shoot with the following bodies on the Sigmas Canon R5, R6 and R6MkII.  In all cases I have had no issues with the lens, using the methodologies I outlined, which seem to be similar to yours.  In the PM that got vaporized  I gave a link to a post on the subject:
Farewell to the Sigma 150-600c on a trip to the zo... - Canon Community   When I look at the post, I cannot expand the images to look at them in anything like decent resolution - I wonder if something has changed in the site settings or if it is something happening at my end.  Without that ability, the images are not given justice as regards clarity.
In the end I decided to keep the 150-600c!

cheers, TREVOR

Great to know that you've used your Contemporary lens on your R6MII with no issues.  That helps me a lot. There's nothing like getting first hand experience from someone that has used it with the same equipment that I have..  BTW, those pictures on your link "Farewell to the Sigma 150-600c on a trip to the zo... - Canon Community "  are great !  I was able to expand them so the site is working good.

Also, you're correct, I have set my R6MII to single point focus, with eye tracking, hand-held, 12 fps mechanical shutter.  I will make sure to use the same set up when I get the Sigma.     I'm looking forward to it.   😊   Cheers, Joe

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

I hope it will work for you as well as it has for me!  Having some issues with the site at my end, not sure what is going on there - may be something to do with my Norton IS, which just had a major update and is being a bit feisty.

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...one of the biggest questions is how the lens (and any EF mount alternative) will work on his MILC camera. "  Yes,  I'd like to hear from those that are using the Contemporary on a R6MIi body with a Canon EF-EOS R adapter."

A lot of the problems using any camera gear is the user and not the gear or lens in this case. Almost all AF issues  are user caused or error and not the camera/lens.

EB
Announcements