cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason for Lens Size Differences?

MyMsKarma
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing a 90d DSLR, and have just noticed that in some of the listing pictures on various sites the lens mounted on the camera is a 58mm and in other listings it's a 67mm. I always thought the 90d took a 67mm lens; clearly I was wrong. However I also noticed that the listings with 58mm lenses are less expensive than cameras with 67mm. Could someone explain why the difference?

In advance, thanks for any info.

MMK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite

Those values are the size of the front filter threads on the lens.  i.e. what is the size of screw-on filters that you'd need to work with the lens.

Your camera can work with any EF or EF-S lens.  The actual filter size across that wide range of lenses will be amongst many different values.

When looking at filters, larger-sized filters will be more expensive in general.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite

Those values are the size of the front filter threads on the lens.  i.e. what is the size of screw-on filters that you'd need to work with the lens.

Your camera can work with any EF or EF-S lens.  The actual filter size across that wide range of lenses will be amongst many different values.

When looking at filters, larger-sized filters will be more expensive in general.

--
Ricky

Thanks, Ricky, for responding.  I am aware that the mm values I spoke of are in relation to the threads. I apologize for not being more clear with my question, as I wasn't asking about the lens size (focal point), but specifically about threads. If I may, let me rephrase: If the native lens size of a 90D is 67mm, is an adapter being used to fit a 58mm lens onto the camera?

Thanks...Aleea

Hmm, I'm not following this.

Your 90D camera makes use of EF or EF-S mount lenses.   The entire set of those lenses will attach to your camera without the need of any adapter.

--
Ricky

Anonymous
Not applicable

The threads on the front of the lens are strictly for screwing a filter onto the front of the lens, not for mounting the lens to the camera. The lens mounts via the other end of the lens with an EF or EF-S bayonet mount to the camera. As long as you use a Canon EF or EF-S lens, you can attach it to your EOS 90D camera. That is the only criteria for lens compatibility with your camera. No need to worry about the filter thread diameter until you purchase an optional lens filter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For choosing a lens, you should be looking at the focal length of the lens, not the filter diameter. A lens such as a Canon EF-S 18-135mm f-3.5-5.6 IS USM is a good choice for a general-purpose use on the 90D camera. I have one for my 80D. The 18-135mm is the focal length range for a zoom type lens (variable focal length). A fixed focal length or prime lens only has one mm rating such as 50mm.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

MyMsKarma,

As others have pointed out, the filter size is a function of the lens, not the camera.

Your 90D will take a wide variety of EF and ED-S lenses, which may have different filter sizes.

For example. my 18-135mm lens uses a 67mm filter, but my 55-250mm lens takes a 58mm filter.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I think pictures of what we are describing are needed.  

@MyMissKarma

This is referred to as focal length

shadowsports_0-1695666673447.png

This is the filter diameter

shadowsports_1-1695666972025.png

This is the lens flange

shadowsports_2-1695667123208.png

If the lens mount is compatible with the camera's lens mount, no adapter is needed.  You can mount any compatible lens regardless of its focal length short, medium or long because the mount is universal.  The mount on the body is a fixed size.  So is the flange on the back of the lens.

The diameter of the lens determines the size of the filter you screw to the front.  Lenses can come in prime (fixed focal lengths) example 50mm or a zoom example 24-70mm.

(In basic terms) The 50mm lens is 50mm long (fixed), and for example 52mm wide, you could install a 52mm filter on the front of it.  Its rear flange doesn't change.  This is what mounts the lens to the camera.  The 24-70 (zoom) might be able to mount on the same body, but its diameter is larger, example 82mm, so you would screw an 82mm filter onto the front of it.  Each camera type (or series) is based on a standard (mount type).  The focal length of the lens does not matter.  Different lenses come in different lengths and diameters, but the flange (or mount) on the back of the lens does not change.   

**I suggest we not start talking about step up or down or Adapters until we're sure she has the above concepts.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the information. However, once again I’ve failed to make clear what I’m asking about. My question has nothing to do with a lens type. I’m strictly speaking about lens mounts…camera lens mount and lens mount. As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I was under the impression that a Canon 90D camera  has a 67mm wide lens mount. Since the size of the lens mount size is printed on the front of a lens, why am I seeing in various listings  lenses on 90Ds that are both 58mm and 67mm, as these pertain to the camera mount? Hence, my question about an adapter. Apologies for lack of proper nomenclature. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are not understanding the specifications for the lenses. The size printed on the front of the lens is not the lens mount size, it is the diameter of the filter threads. You are confusing the two. 

All you need to know if it is compatible with your camera is the lens mount type, either an EF or EF-S type. If your selected lens has either of these two mounts, it will fit and no adaptor is needed.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements