cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF Lens Mount - Use an EF Converter and use RF Lens or use a 2x converter for a long zoom

shed
Contributor

I have a 55-250 EF Lens I used for my Rebel (it's 10 years old).

I'm getting an R6 with the 24-105 EF L Lens, and I want to get pros/cons on whether I should use the $99 EF-RF converter or get the $599 2x converter and use my 24-105.

I don't think I'll need telephoto often, just for some of my kids sports, and there's no cheap long range zoon in the RF mount (which would probably be my ideal).

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@shed wrote:

I have a 55-250 EF Lens I used for my Rebel (it's 10 years old).

I'm getting an R6 with the 24-105 EF L Lens, and I want to get pros/cons on whether I should use the $99 EF-RF converter or get the $599 2x converter and use my 24-105.

I don't think I'll need telephoto often, just for some of my kids sports, and there's no cheap long range zoon in the RF mount (which would probably be my ideal).

The EF-S 55-250mm lens on a Rebel is roughly equivalent to the zoom range of the EF 100-400mm lens on a full frame camera body.  I do not think it wil be very use on the full frame R6, as the image will be significantly cropped because of the smaller EF-S image circle that it projects.  Give the EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II USM lens a look.

I recommend the mount adapter with the control ring, not the least expensive one with the control ring.  It will add the functionality of a custom control ring to any EF/EF-S mount lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@shed wrote:

I

The EF-S 55-250mm lens on a Rebel is roughly equivalent to the zoom range of the EF 100-400mm lens on a full frame camera body.  

Not on an R, It will limit you to an APS-C frame.

@kvbarkley wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@shed wrote:

I

The EF-S 55-250mm lens on a Rebel is roughly equivalent to the zoom range of the EF 100-400mm lens on a full frame camera body.  

Not on an R, It will limit you to an APS-C frame.

Yes, I know.  I said as much.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...get the $599 2x converter and use my 24-105."

Are talking the Canon Extender RF 2x ?  You might want to check but I don't think you can use it on a 24-105.

Depending on what you want to use it for but 200mm is not much of a telephoto.  You will need to be pretty close or your subject pretty big.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh thanks for that on what the 2x would work on. I just assumed it would be any lens. You're right, I checked.

OK in that case I'll just use my old lens on the converter until Canon come out with a reasonable priced long zoom for RF.

Dublinny1978
Apprentice

Hello, I have a Canon 5d Mark IV and I love it but it’s inevitable that I’m going to get the r5. Will the eye detection still work on the R5 with my current EF lenses if I get the lens adapter?

Announcements