cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Extenders, please?

PajamaGuy
Enthusiast

Extender EF 2x III - or the EF 1.4x III.  Same price.  Other than the obvious, why one over the other?  Are the optics equal?

Thanks!

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

And of course this is the correct answer....

"I would recommend the 1.4X if you can only afford one.

I'm sure you probably know this, but the Canon extenders only work woth with certain Canon lenses ..."

In general extenders are a poor idea.  You give a lot to get little.  There are a few "L" lenses that tolerate an extender fairly well.  Most lenses don't. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and the Canon Extender EF 1.4X II work well together.  I have this combo so I can recommend it.  It also works well with the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens.  Again a personal tested combo, I can recommend it.  As a general rule they don't and you should avoid lenses that are slower than f4 with an extender. And f2.8 is even better.  And again, IMHO, avoid the 2x altogether.

Then you get into the really super tele like the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  Although the 1.4x works OK with it, it brings some more difficult limits to over come.  At a 700mm FL, it can be quite a challenge to use.  I do not own that combo but I have rented it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Take a closer look at the specifications.  In order to gain something, you will almost always have to lose something, which in the case of extenders means f/stop settings. 

When attached, the 2x extender reduces the effective maximum aperture by 2 stops.

When attached, the 1.4x extender reduces the effective maximum aperture by 1 stop.

In other words, they will make a fast lens a little slower, and a slow lens much slower.  This can have a detrimental effect on auto focus, causing AF not to work at all when one of the extenders is used.  Generally, if you want to still be able to use your AF on your zoom lens, then you only want to use one of those with a lens that is f/2.8 or faster. 

Can AF work with slower lenses?  Yes, but it really depends on the exact camera and the exact lens.  No doubt, minute variations in manufacturing tolerances can make a difference between it working and not working.  There is a good probability that your AF will still work with the lens set to f/4 with the newer EOS camera models.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Only a limit number of high end Canon DSLRs will auto focus at f/8, so depending on your camera and lenses you may have a problem autofocusing with the 2X.

From what I have read very few lenses do well image quality wise at 2X.

I would recommend the 1.4X if you can only afford one.

I'm sure you probably know this, but the Canon extenders only work woth certain Canon lenses - "L" lenses 135mm and longer. Not the 75-300mm "L" zoom.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

And of course this is the correct answer....

"I would recommend the 1.4X if you can only afford one.

I'm sure you probably know this, but the Canon extenders only work woth with certain Canon lenses ..."

In general extenders are a poor idea.  You give a lot to get little.  There are a few "L" lenses that tolerate an extender fairly well.  Most lenses don't. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and the Canon Extender EF 1.4X II work well together.  I have this combo so I can recommend it.  It also works well with the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens.  Again a personal tested combo, I can recommend it.  As a general rule they don't and you should avoid lenses that are slower than f4 with an extender. And f2.8 is even better.  And again, IMHO, avoid the 2x altogether.

Then you get into the really super tele like the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  Although the 1.4x works OK with it, it brings some more difficult limits to over come.  At a 700mm FL, it can be quite a challenge to use.  I do not own that combo but I have rented it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and the Canon Extender EF 1.4X II work well together.

I see they're now up to the 1.4X III. Do you have a sense of how that works with the 70-200?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"I see they're now up to the 1.4X III. Do you have a sense of how that works with the 70-200?"

Bob, I do not.  And my level of dislike for extenders is not likely going to drive me to buy one.  I must have a dozen+ extenders downstairs in the the formely stop bath stained walls of my darkroom.  I have the version II of the 1.4x and no longer have the 2x copy.  I will keep the 1.4x for now anyway as it does have some usefulness.  I admit it works very well on the two lenses I use it on. The 70-200mm f2.8L and the 300mm f4L.  Some say it works OK on the 400mm f5.6L but it doesn't so don't believe them.

As a side note, I have the Sigma 14x for the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Canon and it works well also.

I don't have the Tamron version for thier SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens but have been tempted to try it.

I might add the Siggy converter is nearly useless on most of the other Sigma lenses.

EB

Bob from Boston,

I said,

"I must have a dozen+ extenders downstairs in the the formerly stop bath stained walls of my darkroom."

This is on side of my formerly stop bath stained darkroom. Now miraculously transformed into a storage room for photographic gear. Smiley Happy

IMG_0044.jpg

What can I say?  We are having an ice storm so I am bored.  Can't get out and will probably loose electricity in a bit.  As you can see it is full of junk. All the bags are full of photographic gear.  Mostly lenses.

EB

LOL.  I hope that is not your latest big Siggy in the top center position against the rear wall.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and the Canon Extender EF 1.4X II work well together.

I see they're now up to the 1.4X III. Do you have a sense of how that works with the 70-200?

I have the Mk.3 version of the f/1.4 TC, and I use it (sometimes), pretty much only with my 70-200 f/2.8 Mk.2.  It may slow down AF a little at long distance, but if so it is not something noticeable.

At short range (about 10-12 feet) it does seem noticeably slower to AF, though you might ask yourself why anyone would use a TC on a 70-200 at closeup range.  I was doing it to get bluebirds in the dogwood tree right outside my window when I really noticed it.

Image quality may be a just bit reduced as well. Some things don't seem quite as sharp as I am used to seeing from that lens. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and the Canon Extender EF 1.4X II work well together.  I have this combo so I can recommend it.

Thanks Ed.  That's the combo I'm looking at (the III).  And it's the answer I expected.   The effective 448 mm @ f.4 on my 7D II should be sufficient for HS football & baseball.

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
Announcements