cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Extenders, please?

PajamaGuy
Enthusiast

Extender EF 2x III - or the EF 1.4x III.  Same price.  Other than the obvious, why one over the other?  Are the optics equal?

Thanks!

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

And of course this is the correct answer....

"I would recommend the 1.4X if you can only afford one.

I'm sure you probably know this, but the Canon extenders only work woth with certain Canon lenses ..."

In general extenders are a poor idea.  You give a lot to get little.  There are a few "L" lenses that tolerate an extender fairly well.  Most lenses don't. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and the Canon Extender EF 1.4X II work well together.  I have this combo so I can recommend it.  It also works well with the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens.  Again a personal tested combo, I can recommend it.  As a general rule they don't and you should avoid lenses that are slower than f4 with an extender. And f2.8 is even better.  And again, IMHO, avoid the 2x altogether.

Then you get into the really super tele like the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  Although the 1.4x works OK with it, it brings some more difficult limits to over come.  At a 700mm FL, it can be quite a challenge to use.  I do not own that combo but I have rented it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

@PajamaGuy wrote:

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and the Canon Extender EF 1.4X II work well together.  I have this combo so I can recommend it.

@Thanks Ed.  That's the combo I'm looking at (the III).  And it's the answer I expected.   The effective 448 mm @ f.4 on my 7D II should be sufficient for HS football & baseball.

The III is suposed to have faster focus. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Extender-EF-1.4x-III-Review.aspx
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

John,

This says it all.

"The image quality of lenses varies from model to model; and therefore, the optical results of the various with-extender combinations also vary. A great lens will typically produce the best image quality when used with the 1.4x ..."

That picture of the Christmas Cactus is pretty sorry for the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro Lens.  Says a mountain, doesn't it?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That picture of the Christmas Cactus is pretty sorry for the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro Lens.  Says a mountain, doesn't it?

Yeah, but the reviewer did say that the extender did a better job than cropping the image to the same coverage. Which I guess is what one looks for in an extender. Or to put it another way, if it didn't give you an IQ advantage over cropping, the extender's other advantages wouldn't be worth much.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yeah, but the reviewer did say that the extender did a better job than cropping the image to the same coverage. Which I guess is what one looks for in an extender. Or to put it another way, if it didn't give you an IQ advantage over cropping, the extender's other advantages wouldn't be worth much.

Somehow, I don't think that that would always point fault at the [extender].  A bad lens is not going to give you better IQ under your scenario.  In fact, it just might look even worse, as the extender faithfully magnifies the lens' flaws.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bob from Boston,

The Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro Lens is hardly a "bad" lens. Matter of fact it is one of the sharpest lenses made.

So, if the extender looks sorry using that lens, it will be hard pressed to do any better. Little hope.

My own findings tell me most of the time cropping is better than most extenders.

On this we agree, "...the extender's other advantages wouldn't be worth much."

EB

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

My personal experience with extenders is when light is good and the smaller aperture size while using the extender doesn't push your ISO too high then the extender is better than cropping. However, if using the extender pushes your ISO up over 1600, then you end up better off using a lower ISO and just cropping. This is with a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and the Sigma 1.4X and 2X TCs. I usually end up just using the 1.4X TC, but, if the light is really good then the 2X actually does better than just cropping.

"...  if the light is really good then the 2X actually does better than just cropping."

Do you have a sample?  I'd like to see it.  I also have the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and Sigma 1.4x extender.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  if the light is really good then the 2X actually does better than just cropping."

Do you have a sample?  I'd like to see it.  I also have the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and Sigma 1.4x extender.

IMG_0906.jpg

@Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 w/Sigma 2X TC @ 600mm, 1/1600, f/8, ISO 500 taken 11/23/2015 at Ollie's Pond, Port Charlotte, FL

100% crop

IMG_0906-3.jpg

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

IMG_0906.jpg

@Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 w/Sigma 2X TC @ 600mm, 1/1600, f/8, ISO 500 taken 11/23/2015 at Ollie's Pond, Port Charlotte, FL

100% crop

IMG_0906-3.jpg

I'm not sure what those two pictures prove (except that you obviously managed to get the bird's attention). I thought the object was to compare two images, one taken with the extender and the other taken without the extender but cropped to the same size as the one that was. If the one taken with the extender doesn't look better, then you didn't need the extender in the first place.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements