cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old lens or counterfeit?

meggobeggo
Apprentice

1F348BA1-222A-4F81-93AE-107B6F220297.jpeg

I just purchased a 35mm 1.4L (first edition) and noticed the CE etc markings aren’t on there compared to my 50mm 1.2L, and other friends same 35mm lenses. The seller states that it doesn’t have the markings due to requirements not being the same across Europe and America, and it being a very original version. I’d love any information or confirmation on this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have never seen any info about Canon lenses being counterfeited. People generally only counterfeit high volume products so they can recover their costs and make a lot of money. A Canon "L" lens doesn't fit that bill. What the seller says sounds reasonable to me.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I have never seen any info about Canon lenses being counterfeited. People generally only counterfeit high volume products so they can recover their costs and make a lot of money. A Canon "L" lens doesn't fit that bill. What the seller says sounds reasonable to me.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I agree with JH. I've never seen a counterfeit Canon L lens. Not that that means it isn't possible or never happened but like JH says how many could the counterfeiter expect to sell?

Bottom line question, does it work as expected? A counterfeit lens certainly would not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

And bear in mind, whatever regulatory logos, certifications, etc., a product has, the counterfeiters are perfectly capable of copying them.  Cheesy foreign knock-off manufacturers will stamp the "CE" logo on their products just as a matter of course.

Announcements