cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3rd party RF Lenses...

greeneyes_516
Apprentice

This is a Deal Breaker for me. I am still using DSLR and it will still be a little while before I get a mirrorless camera because of budget. This news is going to make me look into getting Nikon or Sony, if when I go to a mirrorless camera, if I can't get 3rd party RF lenses for Canon. Since the beginning, I have been using Canon. From my first 35mm Film camera, then stepped up to DSLR with the Canon Rebel XTI. Few years later got the Canon 60D and then got the Canon 80D. When I got the 80D, I started to try to get better lenses. So I do have the Canon 24-70 L and got the Tamron 70-210 F4, I also have 2 Sigma lenses. I am on a limited budget. I finally stepped up to Full Frame with the Canon 6D Mark II. I will say that I am happy with all the photos that I have been able to get with my cameras over the years, but I am not a Fan Boy. For a matter of fact, I have recommended a friend to get a Nikon camera, because of what they were wanting to use it for and to stay with in their budget. I have used friends Nikon cameras in the past and was totally happy with those cameras. When people ask for a recommendation on a camera, I just tell them to stay with a Major brand so they have options in the future for expanding their equipment. In the future I will get a mirrorless camera and to start off with, I was going adapt my current lens to the Camera. But will be wanting to get mirrorless lenses when money allows. There is no way I can afford to get any L series Canon RF lenses, so this will be a deal breaker for me. This will make me sell off my Canon equipment, and go with Nikon or Sony, depending on which one has the options that I want at my price. A sad day for Canon.

90 REPLIES 90

To be honest I haven't used a Speedlight ,or any other flash in years.  I much prefer available light!

Nikon Df, 24-120@120mm f/4, 1/5 sec.Nikon Df, 24-120@120mm f/4, 1/5 sec.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Nice picture Trevor. I started using speedlites a few years ago with my old 40D. It didn't have good low light performance or low light AF. I've actually been using less flash with the 5D Mark IV. Due to the better low light performance and AF. The 5D Mark IV is worth it. 

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

sasaki
Apprentice

So I didn't think this was a huge deal at first (read up on it if you don't know already), because there's plenty of great EF glass out there and some solid adapters that even give some bonus functionality like NDs.

BUT, hearing some takes and thinking about how I got started, I'm a little anxious to make the jump from an EF to RF mount now because there won't be any third party lenses to make faster and more niche glass more affordable and even drive the market forward.

Like a lot of people I began my career on sigma lenses and loved exploring all sorts of third party EF lenses canon wasn't even making their own versions of.

I just think that we'll be way more heavily restricted to buying glass that could be way more approachable to freelancers and newcomers and Canon will be its own competition in the RF game, giving them 0 incentive to compete on quality vs price. The EF lenses are still great, but they're stuck as they are. As tech creeps forward, glass will get smaller, faster, lighter and sharper. We just won't see that progression if we plan to keep adapting the older lenses.

What do you guys think? And if you agree, what can we do to send a message that this isn't the right move?

I would recommend reading the long list of responses in this thread.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

(Note: sasaki had started his own thread, but I had the mods tack it onto this one, because I did not want to go through the whole thing all over again)

Ah, thanks for that.  I wish this whole thing had not erupted, and I know it's wearisome to read - and for me also wearisome to respond to.  However, that sort of false news and speculation as fact is rampant in the world in so many ways right now, causing all sorts of angst and frustration.  I spent a chunk of my life monitoring the harm this stuff does to people and organizations and this was one example I could engage with.

I hope those who find it all too much will just move on to other, more positive topics... 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

zoah666
Apprentice

So I didn't think this was a huge deal at first (read up on it if you don't know already), because there's plenty of great EF glass out there and some solid adapters that even give some bonus functionality like NDs.

BUT, hearing some takes and thinking about how I got started, I'm a little anxious to make the jump from an EF to RF mount now because there won't be any third party lenses to make faster and more niche glass more affordable and even drive the market forward.

Like a lot of people I began my career on sigma lenses and loved exploring all sorts of third party EF lenses canon wasn't even making their own versions of.

I just think that we'll be way more heavily restricted to buying glass that could be way more approachable to freelancers and newcomers and Canon will be its own competition in the RF game, giving them 0 incentive to compete on quality vs price. The EF lenses are still great, but they're stuck as they are. As tech creeps forward, glass will get smaller, faster, lighter and sharper. We just won't see that progression if we plan to keep adapting the older lenses.

What do you guys think? And if you agree, what can we do to send a message that this isn't the right move?

There is a lot of click-bait on this subject, and it has been hyped up massively.  Canon have not stopped 3rd party manufacturers; they have held back licensing for creating 3rd party RF autofocus lenses for the time being. That has not been helped by Canon's rather muted response to the whole issue.  It is important to separate what we know from the hype here.

What we know is that two lens makers have been given a cease-and-desist instruction from Canon for impinging upon their patented R autofocus lens features.  In that respect Canon are perfectly correct and within their legal and ethical rights.  Actually, they could have been far more hostile and sued, but they didn't.   One of those makers, Viltrox, have published a statement to that effect and it was confirmed by a brief comment by Canon Germany.  I suspect that it is likely Viltrox did not actually reverse engineer Canon's IP but may have had access to it through licensing and then jumped the gun in releasing it before they should.  This is, to some degree, supported by the Viltrox statement that for the time being, these lenses are no longer offered.  If they had reverse engineered, they would almost certainly be required to delete any IP and the results from that.  

What we don't know:  What will happen in the future, but there are clues that one can assemble and they are worth exploring...

Historical Context: Back in the 90's I was around when Canon changed from the FD to the EF mount for their new range or EOS systems.  3rd party companies like Tamron had been producing mounts for makers - I had their lenses for my Nikon and Canon gear for about 12 years.  When the EF mount came out there was a delay between that being released and 3rd party lenses coming to market, and an article at the time explained why.

Canon wanted to establish its brand as reliable and was still doing work to perfect the firmware in a controlled manner.  There are issues with autofocus and focus tracking at the moment that are being addressed, so it's still a work in progress.  Outsourcing that tech as is to 3rd parties was not considered a good idea for anyone, and then there was the obvious business decision to allow some time for EF lenses to be sold.  Given the millions Canon have invested in the mount and lenses for them, that is not unreasonable nor unique to them.  However, that period was relatively brief as a lot of lenses came on market from Canon in quick succession.   

Now fast forward to Canon's release of the RF mount in 2019.  It was definitely late to the MILC market and had to get some bodies out there, so it released the rather tepid R and RP bodies, along with a few lenses. Then something completely unplanned happened.  COVID hit. 

The impact was massive across the world and across many industries, especially those relying on Chinese manufacture - and Canon was one of those.  There were reports of empty factories, and closed production lines for lack of staff, lack of raw materials and as simple things as screws, without which parts could not be assembled. Because different manufacturers got their components from different sources, they were impacted in different ways.  That disruption is still being felt and it has had two impacts on Canon's processes.   

The design and development of new lenses and significant disruption to supplies for production.  We are seeing the same thing with the Nikon Z9, for example with massive backlogs of orders, so this is not unique to Canon.

Canon should have got more lenses out and would likely now be in a position to license their IP to other makers, but they are likely not - their lens road map is still not fully developed.  They have done great work via their adapters to allow legacy native and 3rd party lenses to work well with Canon R-series bodies, but the native R lenses are lagging, especially in the lower price bracket.  Things have got more complicated as people clamoured for more bodies, APS-C bodies and lenses to match - the market they have to fill has expanded significantly

However, 3rd party suppliers have also been impacted and the bigger names are likely also stressed for resources for both development and production for the same reasons.

Canon aren't stupid, they know that having 3rd party glass will enhance their market for those who, for one reason or another, do not use native Canon glass, so it's actually to their advantage to let that market develop. Sigma and Tamron have signalled that they will be developing glass 'in due course'.  I doubt that they will say that and risk criticism if that was not a practical possibility.

So, instead of committing to statements about abandoning Canon, or whatever, I am merely saying that there are many more factors to consider than the ones being touted to make Canon into a villain.  Canon is a business entity, and it is pragmatic in engaging with trusted suppliers.  However, given their behaviour, Viltrox may not be on the immediate list for early licensing.  I note that they are still selling EF and EF-M glass with no issues, and they have said they are stopping production of RF glass for the time being.

Further, I strongly recommend the video of an interview with Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki at his new facilities: HERE - he seems to be an awesome guy and has a great ethic for his product and his employees.  It is interesting to note that one of the reasons for his major facility expansion was the hiring of significant numbers of engineers " for the new camera mounts".  There are (to my knowledge) only two new mounts at present: Canon and Nikon, so that suggests to me that if they are confident enough to invest in new capacity for this, then they must believe that what they produce will come to market. Further, Sigma as an old business partner of Canon, is extremely unlikely to try to reverse-engineer anyone else's technology, so it suggests that they have a connection to at least some of Canon RF IP.

So, be patient - this situation is very, very new and let's wait until the dust settles.

cheers, TREVOR

iruma77
Apprentice

Yeah, it's a very troubling move as it's probably going to hamstring lens selection for years. I know, you can always adapt the deep bench of EF glass to RF, but that doesn't help them much as you can also adapt it to E mount. If someone is looking to move to mirrorless, it's a hard sell when the offerings just significantly shrunk.

Announcements