cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New lens???

John22
Apprentice

Canon Lens.jpgHi, could anyone tell me how to tell if a lens is a UK product or otherwise? I just bought a Canon 18-135mm lens off the internet from a well known company. It was listed as new, in retail box with warranty card and manual. When it arrived, I found no warranty card, manual and it was inside a brown used box with the description scribbled on the outside of the contents.

It has cost me hundreds of pounds and I feel I'm not getting what I paid for and considering sending it back.

Thanks for any info.

John

8 REPLIES 8

lly3988
Rising Star

Definitely send it back and buy from an authorized dealer in your area. Well known company is not good enough.

Thanks. Im going to do just that. Once refunded I will buy from an authorized dealer. Don't know how people try to get away with this. Man Mad

They can't even spell Canon right (Connon) Pffff

I don't know if you have a Canon USA (like) in the UK but perhaps you have some other authorized importer.  That is where I would look.  If not buy the lens from a Canon USA dealer.  It's worth it.  You will need a US friend to do this, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon's retail packaging looks like this:

61xPC6bjXeL._SL1407_.jpg

Their retail package is not shrink-wrapped or sealed (a person at a camera store could open a box, inspect it, and return the contents to the package without breaking any seals.)  So don't worry if you don't get a "sealed" box -- it's normal. 

But that brown cardboard box with hand-written (and mis-spelled) labeling is definitely not "new".

Canon does sell camera bodies in "body only" versions or in "kit" versions with a lens included.  This lens is included with some "kit" versions.  Just occasionally someone wants a "body only" but the store only has a "kit", so the shop will remove the lens and lens warranty card, sell the customer the camera, and then repackage the lens in a plain box.  But these are typically sold as "white box" versions.  They are technically "new" ... but they don't come in retail packaging and any reputatable dealer will typically list it as a "white box" version (and they cost a bit less.).  Of course those white box lenses are sold by authorized dealers who know how to spell "Canon".  😉

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Canon's retail packaging looks like this:

61xPC6bjXeL._SL1407_.jpg

Their retail package is not shrink-wrapped or sealed (a person at a camera store could open a box, inspect it, and return the contents to the package without breaking any seals.)  So don't worry if you don't get a "sealed" box -- it's normal. 

But that brown cardboard box with hand-written (and mis-spelled) labeling is definitely not "new".

Canon does sell camera bodies in "body only" versions or in "kit" versions with a lens included.  This lens is included with some "kit" versions.  Just occasionally someone wants a "body only" but the store only has a "kit", so the shop will remove the lens and lens warranty card, sell the customer the camera, and then repackage the lens in a plain box.  But these are typically sold as "white box" versions.  They are technically "new" ... but they don't come in retail packaging and any reputatable dealer will typically list it as a "white box" version (and they cost a bit less.).  Of course those white box lenses are sold by authorized dealers who know how to spell "Canon".  😉

And they will include the warranty card, won't they?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It was advertised with 5 photos of this canon retail box with warranty card and instruction manual that was not sent therefore I will be sending this back as "not as advertised'.

There were some other reviews for that seller that had the same problem and also one where the lens would not autofocus after 2 months.

It is possible they are buying these new abroad and selling them here in the UK at our inflated prices or possibly buying them second hand and trying to pass them off as new.

I've never spent so much on a lens before (£350).

Hopefully I can claim return postage from this seller too. 

Lesson learnt! Smiley Wink

£350?   It sells for £269 brand new on the Canon UK web store.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

John22
Apprentice
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens on the Canon website is £397.99 👀
Announcements