cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a suggestion for a macro lens to photograph my jewelry

divella
Contributor

Hey there! I make jewelry and am looking for a true macro lens for my Canon T6. I've read so many different blogs, posts and I'm more confused than ever. I don't have thousands to spend and a new camera isn't an option at the moment. I've been getting along okay with my 50, but want to up the quality of my photos a bit. Can anyone help with some suggestion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You may want to look at the EF 65mm f/2.8 1 to 5x macro lens.  It can be quite difficult to use; especially with the higher magnification settings, but that would allow for extreme closeup of fine details.   If you don't need that much magnification, look at the EF 100mm f/2.8.

If using the higher magnification of the 65mm, you may need other equipment to allow you to move the camera in fine increments.

Are you doing any lighting of your work?  If so, check out the working distances of the above two to ensure they could work with your setup.   Or, you can look into ring flashes.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How large is the jewelry?  Often times when photographing subjects at close range your DOF shrinks to 1/8”, or less, necessitating the need to take a series of photos and stack them.  Image stacking requires additional software that you may or may not have.

However, if you use a tilt-shift lens, then you may be able to extend the DOF enough to capture the entire subject in focus using only a single shot.

BTW, what is your budget for a lens?  Have you priced macro lenses, yet?  A used one might be the ticket for a small budget.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As far as pricing, I don't know what I want s far as parameters so it's hard to begin. There's no way I can afford a tilt shift at this point and since I need it daily, renting one would be practical either. I don't really need to stack; the images I get currently aren't that bad, I just want to kick it up a notch and thought a macro would be my next step up. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm not a photographer, I'm a jeweler trying to get good pics of my jewelry, if that makes sense.🤷‍♀️

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You may want to look at the EF 65mm f/2.8 1 to 5x macro lens.  It can be quite difficult to use; especially with the higher magnification settings, but that would allow for extreme closeup of fine details.   If you don't need that much magnification, look at the EF 100mm f/2.8.

If using the higher magnification of the 65mm, you may need other equipment to allow you to move the camera in fine increments.

Are you doing any lighting of your work?  If so, check out the working distances of the above two to ensure they could work with your setup.   Or, you can look into ring flashes.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hey Ricky,

Yes, I have lighting, both continuous and speedlight. Looking into strobe with modeling light. I'll have a look at your suggestions, thanks!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

What I am considering as a priority your budget, which you say is limited.  One can get a lot of different lenses but the price goes up with the choices.

You say you are using a 50mm lens - if that area of view is acceptable, then I would suggest the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro lens - which is great unit - I have one.  It is a true macro lens in that it is designed for very close work and can get a lot of detail.

The other unit that is budget-friendly, is the EF 100 f/2.8 macro, which is also a brilliant lens. The difference is that you will be able to get big images but keep the lens further away, which may be useful for lighting.

I would suggest seeing if you can borrow or rent these, or any other lenses you are considering and try them out for your specific application.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The EF-S 60 is not available anymore.

What a shame, it's a good lens.  I have seen several on sale, second hand.  That said, the EF100m f/2.8  is a great unit. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yes, I should have started my sentence with "Alas!"

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Often times when photographing subjects at close range your DOF shrinks to 1/8”, or less, necessitating the need to take a series of photos and stack them.  Image stacking requires additional software that you may or may not have."

This is 'almost' the correct answer and it is certainly a possible answer. However, an easier and first option is to try a photo editing software. There are free ones you can d/l. But I recommend Photoshop Elements. It is reasonably priced at around $125 bucks.

Still using your 50mm lens and editing in PSE can be the best answer. DOF will be kept as is when you crop to get the macro effect you desire. This is very simple requiring just a few mouse clicks. Better than dealing with the issues that will come with a true macro lens. Believe me there are many!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements