cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro Adjust EF Lenses to EOS R6 Mark II

SRubyor
Contributor

I just recently switched from 6D to an R6 Mark II. I am still using my EF lenses with an adapter on the R6. Is there a way to micro adjust the lenses to the camera? 

20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I was wondering.  Exactly which lens make and models are giving you issues.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My 50mm 1.4

What other lenses do you have and do they give you any trouble. The EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens was released in 1993. It is the ONLY remaining Micro Motor USM lens that is still in production today. It is also the ONLY Micro Motor USM lens to provide Full Time Manual focus. No other Micro Motor USM had this feature. I've heard of older lenses front or back focusing. There is NO AFMA adjustments with mirrorless cameras since AF takes place on the image sensor. Opposed to a separate AF sensor in an SLR or DSLR camera. 

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Post a sample JPEG here in the forum.  Even better, post a sample RAW to file sharing service like DropBox,, OneDrive Google Drive, etc.

We would like to see the exposure, AF, and other camera settings.

BTW, I made a similar switch.  From the 6D/6D2 to the R6m2.  I’ve been very happy with the results.  Be aware that not all EF lenses are fully compatible with the advanced AF features.  

Canon introduced Dual Pixel AF sensors in 2009.  Many lenses released prior 2009 were not fully compatible with the new sensors.  The R6m2 has a next generation version of DPAF sensor technology.  Canon released updated versions of nearly their entire L series of lenses.

I believe the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM was released in the mid-1990s.  You made need to disable features like eye tracking and such.

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

If you set the camera to save DPRAW, then Canon DPP software can move the focus point slightly forward or backward.

kjacobs4242
Contributor

I for one would feel better if my R5 had Micro adjust. Period. My EF 100-500 back focuses just slightly in the 5D4, even more pronounced in the R5. Is it just a firmware thing to add to the R cameras??? I adjusted and it is dead on in the 5D, the lens is unusable on the R5. So send the ball of wax to canon and pay$$$. Why not have the capability in camera? Lenses get old, worn, or bumped around and get slightly out of tune. I think it is irresponsible of Cannon to NOT have micro adj in the R series.

An AF Micro adjustment happens in the AF sensor of DSLR cameras. Mirrorless cameras don't have this hardware because the focusing happens on the sensor. If something isn't focusing, either your lenses need a physical adjustment, your EVF (electronic viewfinder) is out of focus, some other setting is causing a problem, or there is something wrong with your camera. 

I saw somewhere that an engineer said we had to modify our tolerances on the RF lenses before we put them to market. What was acceptable on EF lenses was no longer acceptable on RF lenses. The new cameras can detect even the most minor imperfections.

That means if your EF lens is even slightly out of alignment, it will be extremely noticeable on an R series camera. 

@kjacobs4242 wrote:

I for one would feel better if my R5 had Micro adjust. Period. My EF 100-500 back focuses just slightly in the 5D4, even more pronounced in the R5. Is it just a firmware thing to add to the R cameras??? I adjusted and it is dead on in the 5D, the lens is unusable on the R5. So send the ball of wax to canon and pay$$$. Why not have the capability in camera? Lenses get old, worn, or bumped around and get slightly out of tune. I think it is irresponsible of Cannon to NOT have micro adj in the R series.

Which Canon EF 100-400mm lens are you using?

Did you know that an AFMA adjustment in a DSLR does not affect the lens?

Do you know what AFMA actually does and why MILC bodies do not have or need it?

Here is a random YouTube video I found that explains the difference between how a DSLR and an MILC focus.

Here is a list of Canon lenses that are fully compatible with the high speed AF in the R5.  This list can be found in the R5 User Manual.

121FCC5A-5616-4446-9F3E-CF58A7055435.jpeg6621B945-2A60-43F7-AF43-58A04E60FE35.jpeg

It’s always good know where the problem is and what the problem is before you start to troubleshoot it. A lens that needs AFMA always has 99.9% of the image in focus. That adjustment simply moves the critical focus point forward or backward. An image that suffers complete OOF areas  might need service or is caused by the user.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements