cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 walk around lens suggestion - not a M lens

cranfordrd
Apprentice

I purchased my Canon M 50 with a Tamron zoom lens a couple of years ago specifically for birding. I’ve been using it and loving it but now decided I’d like to have a walk around lens, I spend a lot of time in NYC and I want to be able to do street photography as well as landscapes (parks, beach etc). I don’t want to buy an M lens since I know they’re going to be obsolete one day and I may upgrade the camera eventually. I have some vintage lenses that I’ve been using with adapters, can anyone recommend a decent wide angle lens for the canon M50? I’m fine with an ef lens or any other and if it’s a great lens I’m ok with manual as well (I picked up a bunch of vintage lenses for nothing at a garage sale a couple of years ago, most of them are manual and I have a great time with them. Unfortunately, none of them are wide angle). I’m thinking 22mm? 24mm?

13 REPLIES 13

You comments at times baffle me Ernie. I'm not sure that the OP was asking what worked for you. He was interested "in a walk around lens, "I spend a lot of time in NYC and I want to be able to do street photography as well as landscapes (parks, beach etc). I don’t want to buy an M lens since I know they’re going to be obsolete one day."

Given the diversity of street, landscapes, parks and beaches I suggested lens that would give him an option that covered a broad range for his APS-C camera. 

Making the statement that Sigma produces "cheap off brand lenses" is somewhat strange. Behind OEM they are an industry leader that many professionals use the Sigma brand lenses exclusively.

You've made several posts in this thread without offering the OP any help with is original question given his extremely clear parameters. What you have done is criticize both his choices and others recommendations. Wouldn't it be better to simply offer him a recommendation based on his desires instead of critiquing his choices and others recommendations?   Although that does appear to be your overall MO. You many be better suited to use your knowledge to help others and answer their specific questions. That is the overall reason for the forums, to help others achieve their desired goals. based on their parameters.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You comments at times baffle me Ernie March"

I can only advise or recommend based on my own experience and so should everybody.

"Making the statement that Sigma produces "cheap off brand lenses" is somewhat strange."

Not all Sigma lenses are "cheap" just as not all Canon lenses are "L".

"What you have done is criticize both his choices and others recommendations."

Exactly as all of us have our opinions. They are not necessarily right or wrong. They are given out and worth exactly what you paid for it.

"That is the overall reason for the forums, to help others achieve their desired goals. based on their parameters."

Again, "I can only advise or recommend based on my own experience and so should everybody." I can not help it nor care if it doesn't agree with yours.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I was very satisfied using a fully manual, UWA lens with my M3.  I used a Rokinon 14mm T3.1 cinema lens.  The hyperfocal distance was less than the length of my arm, so everything would always be in razor sharp focus.  Because it drew no power from the camera, I could shoot all day just about on a single charge of the battery.

62F87D0A-3A04-4E86-ACA3-55805E294840.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@cranfordrd wrote:

I purchased my Canon M 50 with a Tamron zoom lens a couple of years ago specifically for birding. I’ve been using it and loving it but now decided I’d like to have a walk around lens, I spend a lot of time in NYC and I want to be able to do street photography as well as landscapes (parks, beach etc). I don’t want to buy an M lens since I know they’re going to be obsolete one day and I may upgrade the camera eventually. I have some vintage lenses that I’ve been using with adapters, can anyone recommend a decent wide angle lens for the canon M50? I’m fine with an ef lens or any other and if it’s a great lens I’m ok with manual as well (I picked up a bunch of vintage lenses for nothing at a garage sale a couple of years ago, most of them are manual and I have a great time with them. Unfortunately, none of them are wide angle). I’m thinking 22mm? 24mm?

If you are OK with manual lenses look at the many EF-M lens by third party manufacturers. Most are less than $100. Less expensive than getting an EF lens and then having to buy the EF-M to EF adapter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements