cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to replacing the 18-55 kit lens with a tamron

perton
Apprentice

I want to replace my kit lens with the Tamron 24-70 for the wider aperture. My question is, will the' view' be the same because my camera (Canon 77d) is not a full-frame camera? Will the 24mm on the new lens look the same as the 24mm on the kit lens? I've been reading that the same lens will give a different perspective on a full-frame camera than a crop frame.

canon
2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@perton wrote:

I want to replace my kit lens with the Tamron 24-70 for the wider aperture. My question is, will the' view' be the same because my camera (Canon 77d) is not a full-frame camera? Will the 24mm on the new lens look the same as the 24mm on the kit lens? I've been reading that the same lens will give a different perspective on a full-frame camera than a crop frame.

Any 24mm lens on your camera will give the same view perspective. The view perspective on your crop sensor camera for any lens will be narrower than a similar focal length lens on a full frame camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A far better choice would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. Very first it is a Canon top level lens that is designed especially for your camera. It has the fast and constant f2.8 aperture. It is always best to buy Canon if Canon has what you want or need.

And to repeat because of somewhat confusing replies, 24mm is 24mm. It doesn't make any difference on which camera you use it on. What is different is sensor size and that can effect the AOV, angle of view, from a 24mm lens. However, any 24mm lens will give you exactly the same AOV on your camera as any other 24mm lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements