cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for opinions on lens lineup

efrain86
Apprentice

Hello fellow canon shooters. Some context: I've fairly recently gone pro again, mostly shooting real estate, I've dug out most of my old kit but upgraded the body from 5D mII to the R5C. I also do a bunch of drone stuff.

I have:

17-40mm f4 L

50mm f1.4 sigma art

100mm f2.8 L macro

70-200mm f4 L

I use the 17-40 and the 100 the most, but right now I'm going more into video work (lifestyle, product, interviews etc) and discovered the sigma 50 doesn't work in video mode.

I feel a bit naked without my "bridge" prime even though I think I can get by with the other 2 in almost any situations. I'm also missing my 24-105 that I sold years ago, the 24-70 f2.8 seems like a tempting option to bridge the gap but not really sure how much value is in covering every single focal length, Vs getting another 50 prime maybe?

Looking at my lineup with fresh eyes what do you think about it, what would you change? I'm also open to non-canon lenses if they deliver stellar image.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you wish to capture video, then I do not recommend using any third party lenses.  As you seem to have discovered with the Sigma 50mm Art, most third party EF-mount lenses are not fully compatible with all the video features in Canon bodies.  

Not even all EF lenses are fully compatible with Dual Pixel AF stills and video modes.  There are lists of Canon EF lenses in the R5/R6 User Guides that ARE fully compatible with the RF mount by using a Canon mount adapter..  

I have not looked in the R5C manual to see if Canon included a similar list.  I would use those lists as a guide for selecting lenses that are fully compatible with Dual Pixel AF video modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

All that Waddizzle has said is true.  

I too would strongly urge you to stick with Canon adapters and glass.  When I purchased my R5 C, I had a Sigma Art 24~70 f2.8.  It works in both photo and video modes.  Adapted it is a little slower than Canon glass.  It works though.  If you have a Sigma Dock, I'd grab v2.03 firmware for your 50mm and see if that does anything.  There is nothing in there about using with a cinema camera, but it can't hurt to have it.  In photo mode, your 50mm will continue to take stunning shots.  The same ones you enjoyed from the 5D2.  I had 4 great years with Sigma glass on my 6D2.  So fast, so sharp.  Mounting them on my R5 C was a small let down.  You know as a photographer when your gear is struggling.  Like having one hand tied behind its back.  Capable, but not super speedy as before.  This prompted an accelerated move to RF.  I purchased the RF24~70 the same month and never looked back.

RF primes are coming, but for now only the 16mm is available.  Since you are exploring video, (lifestyle, product, interviews) the 24~70 makes the most sense.  You have 17~40 coverage.  If you were vlogging, I'd recommend the 15 ~ 35mm.    Then buy a 50mm prime once available.  

Your 100mm can remain for still photography and macros. 

Other brand lenses, I wouldn't do it.  For video mode, forget Tamron lenses all together.  The R5 C uses Dual Pixel AF v2 in photo mode and Dual Pixel AF v1 in video mode.  

As always Waddizzle's recommendations are spot on.  Here is a listing of compatible lenses for video mode.

Starting on page 238

eosr5c-aug4-video-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I were you today I would buy the Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens also "today". It is the workhorse of the industry. I use that lens more often than any other lens and you will too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

The first lens I'd replace is the EF 17-40mm f/4L. That's one of Canon's more affordable, but less than stellar ultrawides and I imagine is a pretty important zoom for you, doing real estate photography. There are two or three RF lenses that offer better image quality, especially the wide angle end. The RF 15-30mm is very affordable, but comes up somewhat short and has a variable, fairly small aperture and STM focus drive. The RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM is considerably more expensive, but the mid-priced lens in this group and gets nicely wider than your 17mm. Compare their image quality on demanding, high resolution cameras (R5 and 5DS-R), especially at the wide end of their zooms.The third but most expensive possibility is the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, which gets you a stop brighter aperture. However also note that these lenses also all have IS, which might help speed up your work if it allows you to shoot hand held, rather than needing a tripod for a non-IS lens. 

I wouldn't worry about another lens yet... Get an EF to RF adapter to be able to use your 50mm, 100mm macro and 70-200mm lenses on the R-series camera.

In fact, the EF to RF adapter opens up another possibility... Canon's EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens is no longer in production, but can be found used for quite reasonable prices. It also is a significant improvement over the older EF 17-40mm.

A more detailed review of the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM.

Compare the three RF lenses with the EF 17-40mm at B&H Photo:

I hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Edit: I just noticed the problem with the 50mm lens in video mode. Have you contacted Sigma about that? It may be that they can do a firmware update for your... or you may be able to do it yourself... to solve the problem.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Alan,

The issue is indeed with his Sigma 50mm in video mode.  Sigma has a USB dock that allows Art, Sport and Contemporary (global vision) lenses to be upgraded by the end user.  I recommended he try FW 2.0.3 which may or may not help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... mostly shooting real estate,..."

You know it is amusing because it seems every time someone asks a question like the OP has, someone else offers reviews on how much better certain lenses are then his. Your ef 17-40mm worked just fine then and it will do so now. I know people that shoot real estate with a iphone for pete's sake. Advising you need to upgrade it, is ridiculous.

I'm also missing my 24-105 that I sold years ago, the 24-70 f2.8 seems like a tempting option ..."

That's a good enough reason to buy the Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens.  It alone will do 90% of all your stated requirements and to the highest level. Where 24mm isn't quite wide enough slip the 17-40mil back on for those cases.

"...not really sure how much value is in covering every single focal length..."

You don't need every single FL.  BTW, the RF 24-70mm f/2.8 L makes the 50mil redundant, too. As a real estate photographer I suspect you have a nice tripod? Yes, no? If you don't that is an important buy right off. You also have a good post editor? It's mandatory for top results.

EB

Hi EB...

Have you ever done real estate photography?

I had a real estate license for a while and did photos for myself and others. A good wide angle lens for interiors is critical. The wider the better!

Yes, people do real estate photos with their phones. There are a lot of agents who shoot their own images and their listings sit on the market longer because they look so bad in those photos. More experienced agents learn the value of quality photos that present a property well and encourage both other agents and potential buyers to come view the property..

I never did truly high end real estate photography. A friend did though. He was a photographer who specialized in commercial properties and multi-million dollar homes. Still does it a little, but has mostly moved on to other specialties due to over-saturation of the marketplace with low cost "flat fee" real estate photographers and videographers.

I agree with you that the original poster doesn't need to have every focal length covered. But I do think 14mm on the wide end would be very nice to have (on full frame) for real estate interiors. It's a bonus that the RF 14-35mm has stabilization, is much sharper corner to corner at the wide end and has less chromatic aberration than the old 17-40mm at the 35mm setting.

If they can make their Sigma 50mm work via a firmware update, they really don't need a 24-70mm. Might not even need it much without the 50mm. The gap between 14-35mm and 70-200mm really isn't all that critical.

But IF they really, really feel the need and have an EF to RF adapter anyway, another lens they might want to consider the EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM. It's pretty darned good optically... very close to the RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM at the same aperture. The EF lens is lighter weight, uses a smaller filter and also is unusually close focusing. It's "Macro" setting allows 0.70X magnification, more than twice what's possible with the RF lens' 0.30X. The OP has a great macro lens and suggested they shoot close ups a lot, so they might find this feature handy for the times they're just carrying the camera with the "walk around" lens.

In fact, EF 24-70mm f/4L can be found used for less than 1/3 the price of an RF 24-70mm. Although I still feel a 24-70mm is lower priority, especially if they sort out the problem with the 50mm, they actually could purchase the RF 14-35mm f/4L AND a good, used EF 24-70mm f/4L for about the same as what an RF 24-70mm f/2.8L alone currently costs! .

I agree with you that a good tripod is important, as well as solid post-processing editing workflow.

@efrain86 wrote:

... I'm also open to non-canon lenses if they deliver stellar image.

There are no 3rd party autofocus lenses for R-series cameras. Canon has enforced their patents to prevent them from being offered.

There are quite a few 3rd party manual focus/manual aperture lenses in RF mount... most (all?) primes... few (no?) zooms. Some that might be of interest include Venus Laowa "Zero D" with ultra low distortion that should be great for architecture. There also are some shift lenses that may be good for real estate shots. All these manual focus/manual aperture lenses are a lot slower to work with and you need to set the camera to "shoot without lens" (because there's no electronic communication, the camera doesn't "know" a lens is mounted).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Have you ever done real estate photography?"

My aunt and uncle were both real estate agents. My uncle was a builder. I did work for them for years.

"There are a lot of agents who shoot their own images and their listings sit on the market longer because they look so bad in those photos."

Hmm, and you think it's because of the photos? Not, the number one reason real estate doesn't sell is price. It is simply priced too high. Next is location.

"He was a photographer who specialized in commercial properties and multi-million dollar homes."

This is not every real estate photographer! Most likely it is not the OP either. Look pixel peeping has a place it is fun to talk about but has little to do with a whole lot of real world photography.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"There are no 3rd party autofocus lenses for R-series cameras."

Whether there are 3rd party lenses or not, you do not need AF for real estate work.

EB
Announcements