cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens not focusing

CodeRedAddictMD
Contributor

Hello, I'm new to the camera/photography thing so I don't know much about much. For context, I have a Rebel T7 camera, and I recently purchased a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM lens. I take a lot of sports pics of the kids and thought this would be a nice little upgrade from my Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens. I'm often taking photos from afar and am zoomed in to 200mm with the new lens and not a single picture came out clear, all were out of focus. Pictures were taken from a tripod with AF for some and manual focus for others. I did some test shots at home zooming in on the bookshelf and still couldn't get any focus on the photos. Being new, I'm not 100% sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't feel like any of the photos should be that out of focus. With closer shots the lens focuses better, but I still think it's not as clear as my other lenses. I'm at a point where I'm thinking it's more of a lens problem than a me problem, but wanted to be certain before sending it back. 

I appreciate and look forward to any help!

Thank you!

18 REPLIES 18

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I will repeat and urge to do my test instructions above.  Just do it. The procedure from JH is just guesswork as is yours. If you follow my instructions above it will tell you if the lens is faulty for certain. The problem with just shooting and switching lenses adds variables to the test. You can't test something if the conditions are not exactly the same. Any lens, even the best of the best, with the best camera will miss a shot now and again. 

Another issue, Canon may not service the original model 70-200mm f2.8L. You will need to confirm that with Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.

Make sure you are putting the red AF square exactly on what you want in focus. Also on the bright day, as I advised above, your SS should be high enough to eliminate shake as the problem but if need be set ISO to 400 for the test. We want it on the lower numbers if possible (not 1600 or 3200, etc).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I did use your test instructions, I reset my camera settings, set the ISO to 200, WB to Daylight, AF to One Shot, with the Focus set to Center Focus with that box directly on my target. My shots weren't completely random as suggested, was mostly trying to get Softball pics, specifically the player that is pictured. Pictures were taken from the same location on the field as it's the best position on that particular field, and it was a bright sunny day. I did switch from P to Tv while taking shots with the 200mm, initial shutter speed was 1/800 and later switched to 1/1000. I took 103 pictures with the 200mm before switching to the 300mm. With the 300mm I shot photos from about 200mm (205mm in the pic I shared as well as most the others now that I look at them) using the same settings that was setup for the other lens, from the same location, on a tripod with both to avoid any instability. I by no means didn't pick the single worst picture, all 103 pictures look as bad as the one shared, the couple that look slightly better are when my player was on 1st and 2nd base, taken from the same location at 200mm.

Perfect example of the scientific method; hold everything constant except one variable - in this case the lens.

103 bad shots is pretty indicative of the lens being the problem. 

As stated, call Canon. If they can't, and don't have a suggestion, Royal Camera in Illinois and Midwest Camera in Michigan are folks to contact.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

OK here is the bottom line. I would have prefered you shoot truly random shots, "Shoot some trees, buildings, go to the park. Take a few of the kids. Different distances. You know random stuff just make sure some have vertical lines, a fence, and good contrast (not the sky)."  However, form what you have just said, I believe the lens is faulty and either needs to be returned or repaired. I again don't think Canon services the original 70-200mm f2.8L lens any longer. You will need to call 1 (800) 652-2666 and ask.

If you are still not convinced or need more evidence do the test following my instructions exactly. I hope the best for you but it sure looks like a bad lens.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I did attempt to focus from live view, you can hear it go through the motions and will take a pic when done, but still comes out blurry like this."

If the lens is faulty that would not help. And it probably tells you nothing that the eye level VF doesn't. The fact the camera thinks the lens is in focus is not good. In One shot mode the camera will not shoot if it doesn't get AF confirmation from the lens. So, I now believe something inside of the lens is out of whack. You are likely better off returning this one and getting another one.  This is a fantastic lens and will provide the best photos possible from your T7. They are extremely durable lenses but like anything they can get damaged. Looks like this one was used hard.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I did attempt to focus from live view, you can hear it go through the motions and will take a pic when done, but still comes out blurry like this."

If the lens is faulty that would not help. And it probably tells you nothing that the eye level VF doesn't. The fact the camera thinks the lens is in focus is puzzling to me. In One shot mode the camera will not shoot if it doesn't get AF confirmation from the lens. So, I believe something inside of the lens is out of whack.

Since Live View uses a different focusing method, using the LCD for Live View would tell something different than the optical view finder is the problem was lens front focusing or back focusing. The quick and dirty test for front focus/backfocus problems is to focus with Live View and then switch to optical. If the lens focus ring moves when the shutter button is pressed the focusing system is off.

Both DPP and LrC Show Focus Points indicate that the center focus point was considered in focus.

Screenshot 2022-05-04 123131.jpgBut, even though there is reasonable spread of subject depth nothing is in focus.

Compare that with the 75-300 shot:

Screenshot 2022-05-04 123235.jpg

Since you can return for a refund I would definitely recommend that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes I checked both samples. Since nothing is in focus LV vs VF will not help nor tell us any difference. This lens is broken!

EB

Absolutely.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

CodeRedAddictMD
Contributor

Dang, that's just my luck, I will be sending it back!

I can't express enough just how much I appreciate all of your guy's help! I very much assumed it was the case, but I wanted to make every effort to be sure and all of you helped make that easy! Hopefully my next major upgrade will be much more successful!

Thank you guys and May the 4th be with you!

Eric

click here to view the gallery
Announcements