cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Question

raginipaul24
Apprentice
I currently own a Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS with just a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. It was given as a gift and I don't know much about cameras. I'm looking to buy a lens for doing more zoom shots (mostly nature and wildlife), would the a Canon 75-300mm EF Zoom lens be enough? Not looking to spend crazy money as photography is just more of a weekend/hiking hobby. Do I need a lens hood? Any other recommendations of lens or things I should pick up would be great!
2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend the EF-S 55-250 STM version lens. About $205. Much better lens than the 75-300.

Screenshot 2020-12-25 060524.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I second the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens. Going further in your query, "Do I need a lens hood?" Yes, you do!

The hood is Canon ET-63 Lens Hood for EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens. It serves two purposes. One it can get you  better shots in certain conditions and it offers some lens front element protection.

I am not a big fan of the 75-300mm but I know lots of folks that have it and are completely satisfied with it. They are mostly people like you that are just hobbyists and weekenders that want more than a cell phone camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements