cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 17-40/4 L US, EF 16-35mm/2.8 L USM II or Samyang AF14/2.8 on EOS R?

No-Frills
Contributor

I want to complement my R equipment. I have the EOS R and may follow. I need sometimes more than 24mm and bokeh isn't an issue.

The Samyang AF14/2.8 may be a good option. But I can't mount a filter. I photograph often in harsh conditions, e.g. constructions aereas.

My second thought: can the EF 17-40/4 L US or EF 16-35mm/2.8 L USM II image quality keep up to the R/R5?

My last considaration: the EF 17-40/4 L US is cheaper than the EF 16-35mm/2.8 L USM II and maybe a cheap substitute until another options ar available. I hope that Sigma or Tamron launch a soon a similar lens. Or Canon comes with somethng affordable in the range of 15 to 18mm.

If you want to visit Germany feel free to ask me about good locations for photography in my region (Ruhr district, ex coal mine area, Duesseldorf). And yes, my username is inspired by some sketches of the Carol Burnett Show.
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You have an RF mount body.  You should only consider RF mount lenses, especially if you are considering an R5.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"You should only consider RF mount lenses, especially if you are considering an R5."

This only makes sense.  And, stick with Canon unless there is no Canon to consider.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz

@No-Frills wrote:

My last considaration: the EF 17-40/4 L US is cheaper than the EF 16-35mm/2.8 L USM II and maybe a cheap substitute until another options ar available. I hope that Sigma or Tamron launch a soon a similar lens. Or Canon comes with somethng affordable in the range of 15 to 18mm.

The typically reliable Canon Rumors has recently stated, in no uncertain terms, that Sigma will begin making RF mount lenses in 2021. Hope it's true. 

WagerD
Apprentice
I bought the 16-35 EF L 4.0 is right before buying an R6 (R5 on its way). Great lens at a great price, and works excellently with the R6 and Canon adapter.
Announcements