cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III too heavy for the EOS M100 ?

mangurian
Enthusiast

I am thinking of buying this inexpensive used zoom lens and use with my adapter.

There is no tripod mount on this lens.

Is the lens to heavy for me to use the camera tripod mount ?

Has anyone tried any of the EF Zooms on an M100 ?

rapid feedback appreciated as I would like to order soon.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mangurian
Enthusiast

I ended up buying a used Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Lens  for $80.00 and luckily got a very good one. (The seller had a good rating based on previous camera related sales.)

It is hefty enough to put a lot of strain on the camera when not held correctly.

When not hand held, I use the mount on my adapter.

I am very pleased with all aspects and I am getting very nice shots.

I was surprised by the focus speed and how well the IS works.  This is my first "adapter" lens (with FotioX adapter).
My shaky 77 year old hands have had no problem (although, I admit that I usually used burst mode).

Thanks all for the input.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mangurian wrote:

I am thinking of buying this inexpensive used zoom lens and use with my adapter.

There is no tripod mount on this lens.

Is the lens to heavy for me to use the camera tripod mount ?

Has anyone tried any of the EF Zooms on an M100 ?

rapid feedback appreciated as I would like to order soon.

Thanks,

There should be a tripod foot on the adapter.  The Canon adapter as one, that much is certain.

As for that lens, I would not recommend it.  It is an older design, which suffers from large amounts of chromatic aberration in high contrast areas of an image.

IMG_2015_07_230140.Clear.png

IMG_2015_07_230140.Clear.Cropped_200.png

The EF-S 55-250mm lenses are better, especially the STM version.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The M-Series of bodies not have very good battery life, 200-300 shots per charge, with EF-M lenses.  Using EF lenses will only reduce that figure to somewhere under 200, depending on the lens.

I think your suspicion that EF lenses could be too heavy for M bodies is an astute conclusion.  I think they are large enough to present a Moment Of Inertia on the lens mount that could exceed the design limits, which is why the Canon EF adapter has a tripod foot built into it.

Anytime the adapter is used with most EF lenses, then you should always support the lens, especially when NOT using a tripod.  I have an M3, and it works great with the adapter and Canon’s “pancake” lenses.  The EF 40mm and EF-S 24mm lenses.  

But, I get the best results with the EF-M 22mm prime, which has the widest aperture in the EF-M lens lineup.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III too heavy for the EOS M100 ?"

I would guess it is OK. I doubt it will damage anything no matter how you hold it. The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens is a plastic wonder and weighs in at a pound or so.  That shouldn't be any sort of a problem. Your  EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is about 1/2 pound. And if you happen to have the Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens it is 3/4 of a pound or so.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I would guess it is OK. I doubt it will damage anything no matter how you hold it. The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens is a plastic wonder and weighs in at a pound or so.  That shouldn't be any sort of a problem. Your  EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is about 1/2 pound. And if you happen to have the Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens it is 3/4 of a pound or so.

While the lens in question does not weigh very much, the adapter moves the CoG, Center of Gravity, further away from the camera body, which increases the Moment of Inertia presented to the lens mount.  The further the CoG from the focal plane, the greater amount of torque present on the lens mount.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

Canon designed a tripod foot into their EF adapter for a good reason.  This works out to be exact opposite of the Inverse Square Law for the drop off in light from a strobe.  As distance increases, so does the torque.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, a one pound lens is a major problem. Most EF-M lenses weigh in at 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound.  Your weights are OFF.  

I have to agree with the comments about buying the 75-300 III to begin with.  It's arguably Canon's worst lens, and I would avoid it no matter how cheap it is!  Better off with the 55-250 STM if the idea is to get more reach than the EF-M 55-200.

Before leaping into buying a telephoto, my understanding from what I read is that EOS M100 is a cellphone competitor, which does not lend itself to long telephoto use. It does not have a EVF as far as I am aware, so using a longer telephoto hand-held with only two points of support is going to be challenging at best, pretty well demanding it be used with a monopod or tripod to get a stable shooting base.  I expect it is a great short to normal range camera, but a long telephoto unit... I would have gone for the M5 or M50 if one had to have a mirrorless body and want to shoot long.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The lens doesn't have to damage anything in order to cause a problem. All it has to do is temporarily deflect the top of the lens mount relative to its bottom enough to make the focus points different at the top and bottom of the image. Easily correctible if the 75-300 were a tilt/shift lens. But it isn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"All it has to do is temporarily deflect the top of the lens mount relative to its bottom enough to make the focus points different at the top and bottom of the image."

And neither of us actually think that will happen, do we?  Let's face it, you can damage anything if you don't handle it correctly.

The 75-300 is about a pound. Some of the ef-m lenses come in at half pound.  Not enough to make a big difference.

Now if you wanted to put my big Siggy on it, yeah, the mount probably wouldn't survive.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

mangurian
Enthusiast

I ended up buying a used Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Lens  for $80.00 and luckily got a very good one. (The seller had a good rating based on previous camera related sales.)

It is hefty enough to put a lot of strain on the camera when not held correctly.

When not hand held, I use the mount on my adapter.

I am very pleased with all aspects and I am getting very nice shots.

I was surprised by the focus speed and how well the IS works.  This is my first "adapter" lens (with FotioX adapter).
My shaky 77 year old hands have had no problem (although, I admit that I usually used burst mode).

Thanks all for the input.

Announcements