cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 24-70 f/2.8 MK1 Still Worth It?

prathma1
Apprentice

Hi everyone, I currently shoot video and do photography on a Canon EOS R which I picked up for a bargain price last year.

I currently use the kit lens, an RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 lens. This lens has served me well and has worked well Ik lowlight, but after using this setup for a while i want to upgrade.

I am currently going to check out a 24-70 f/2.8 mk1 lens tomorrow. The seller agreed to let it go for £350 upon me testing it.

The thing is this lens lacks IS. When i film, i have a gimbal so that’s not the problem. Usually on my kit lens i shoot at 1/100 or 1/125. Even 1/80 sometimes. Will the IS not being available be a bigger issue for handheld pictures? I mostly shoot at day.

Secondly I also saw a Ef 24-105 f/4 IS Mark 2 (ii). This one I can get for £450. This is similar my lens but is only f/4, BUT it has IS. Should i consider this? I originally planned to spend about £300 as i have travelled from Ireland.

TL;DR: Buy MK1 EF 24-70 f/2.8 or EF 24-105 f/4 IS ii? Pairing with EOS R.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is a tough question to answer.

For many this choice often comes down to budget.  EF glass when adapted works extremely well on mirrorless body's.  Occasionally there are caveats.  Unable to achieve maximum FPS, AF may be a little bit slower, etc.  In the majority of cases, however adapting Canon EF lenses to a mirrorless body using a Canon adapter works extremely well.  Many claim EF lenses perform better on a mirrorless body than they did on a DSLR.  

As a mirrorless body owner, I would not recommend investing in EF glass unless I had no other choice.  The EF 24-70 mki is no longer serviceable by Canon and is prone to flex cable failure as it ages.  The price the lens you are considering is on the lower end.  Also note that the EF version of this lens does not have IS and since your EOS R doesn't have IBIS, that's another reason I wouldn't do it.  You said you use a gimbal much of the time, so maybe it'll work for you.  There is only one stop of light difference between f2.8 and f4.  Personally, I would want IS if I could have it.  That said, the RF 24-70 f2.8 is one of the best lenses I've ever owned.  It has IS as well.  If the EF mkI version of this lens fits your budget,  meets you performance needs and you are willing to accept the risk of a non-serviceable lens, it might serve you well.  I'd go with the 105 mkII between these two.  **Lenses are the real investment In photography.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Stick with the kit lens and always use RF lenses if possible. I would pass on both of the EF models.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements