cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexpensive lens to upgrade to after canon t6i kit lens?

rivernuzzo
Apprentice
I have a canon t6i rebel and have been using the kit lenses for about 6 months. I am now looking to upgrade to a higher quality lens. I don't want to invest a lot of money on a lens that isn't worth it. I am looking for a lens that produces a better picture quality than either of my kit lenses, and I'm not sure what my best option would be. Help is much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I don't want to invest a lot of money on a lens that isn't worth it."

If that is the case, then you really don't want a better lens.  Here is one possibility, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens from Canon.  There are many others, depending upon what range(s) of focal length you seek.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@rivernuzzo wrote:
I have a canon t6i rebel and have been using the kit lenses for about 6 months. I am now looking to upgrade to a higher quality lens. I don't want to invest a lot of money on a lens that isn't worth it. I am looking for a lens that produces a better picture quality than either of my kit lenses, and I'm not sure what my best option would be. Help is much appreciated.

Most people seem to think that the main drawback of Canon's current generation of Rebel kit lenses is their relatively shoddy construction, not their image quality. So one option, which I guess I'd recommend, is that you continue to use the kit lens until either it starts to wear out or you gain enough experience to know what you really need, whichever comes first. What you want to guard against is going through a succession of lenses, each slightly better than its predecessor, as time goes on. You'll end up with a bunch of useless lenses that you needn't have paid for.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree with Bob. Without seeing your images it can't be determined if lens optical quality or technique issues are creating images you are not happy with. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@rivernuzzo wrote:

If your T6i came with STM kit lenses, any issue with image quality is not because of the lens.

The best way to improve the image quality of your photos, is to improve your skills as a photogapher. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I can glean some insight from your query.........

"I have a canon t6i rebel and have been using the kit lenses for about 6 months."

At this point I think you should be pretty comfortable with the T6i? Correct?

"I am now looking to upgrade to a higher quality lens."

And you are happy with the focal length of the lenses you currently have?

"I don't want to invest a lot of money on a lens that isn't worth it."

Well, this ain't gonna happen!  Good, better, best cost more money in that same exact order.

"I am looking for a lens that produces a better picture quality than either of my kit lenses, ..."

The obvious choice wold be the afore mentioned Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Not only better IQ, it is a f2.8 aperture.  Better yet, it is a constant f2.8 aperture.  It will AF faster and it is built better, too.  Plus it looks awesome! What's not to love?

"... and I'm not sure what my best option would be."

None of us without more specific info about you can be more helpful.  But the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a lens that you can live with for a very long time.  You may never out grow it.  It and the T6i is a outstanding combo. Sell your kit lens and go for this one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements