cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghosting using RF adapter and EF lens

cpmyork
Apprentice

Was outside in bright sun, high contrast scene using an R5 with the Canon adapter and a 24-105 EF lens.  Notice a lots of flare and ghosting in the whites.  Doesn't show with the same lens on the 5D at the same settings.  Anyone else noticed this affect or better still, have a solution short of buying all new RF lens? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If it shows on one camera but not the other it almost eliminates the lens as the problem. This almost has to be either an adapter or R5 issue. I really don't see either causing ghosting and/or flares. Do you have any sort of filter on the lens? If you do remove it.

A sample photo would be nice to see.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you using a Canon mount adapter?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

cpmyork
Apprentice

I'm using the Canon adapter. This is good example, more of a flare which shows on white or near blown out areas.  If the sun comes out soon, I'll go try some shots are various settings, and maybe play with the white balance.  No filters.

white flarewhite flare

What metering mode were you using?  Is this image cropped?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't think that is a lens or adapter issue. It is in the R5.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I had the folks at the shop take shots with it and they suggested I send in back for service as they experienced the same issue.  I had hoped it was operator error but doesn't seem to be. Thanks all for helping me think this thru

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Maybe same problem?

R6 Chromatic Aberration, Diffraction, not sure? - Canon Community

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

drgball
Contributor

I have been using the R5 adapter with my EF lenses for almost a year now and have not noticed the flare issue.  I have four lenses that I regularly use (11-24, 24-70, 100-400, 500) and I've not encountered the problem. I have done some shots with setting sun etc. and haven't noticed it there either.  I do remember someone posted something about seeing flare using the adapter and I believe he was attributing it to reflected light bouncing inside the adapter.  Although that may be possible, I don't think it is likely.

That poster was alluding to a difference with the internal surface between the 3rd party adapter and the Canon adapter. This image was taken using the Canon adapter, so that potential issue doesn’t apply here. 

It was also never definitely established that it was an adapter anyway. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements