cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exploring 18-55mm lens options for EOS 2000D

kohramach
Apprentice

Hey guys,

I'd like to buy Canon EOS 2000D for my friend as her first DSLR. She loves photography, uses analog mostly.I am having a trouble picking lenses for her. Budget is $600.She usually makes photos of people, landscapes, nature.

Here are offers I found:

1. Canon EOS 2000D + EF-S 18-55 mm III - $340

2. Canon EOS 2000D + EF-S 18-55 mm + bag SB130 + memory card 16GB - $490

3. Canon EOS 2000D + EF-S 18-55mm IS II + bag SB130 + memory card 16GB

Are these lenses same? I was thinking getting offer 1. and buy her additional lens. But what additional lense to get? What do you think about it?I would highly appreciate your insights. I have no clue about it all, thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

kohramach,

The 2000D is older technology.

For a price that is close to the same, you can get a used T7i, which is a much better camera, 

I think.

Since she is just getting started, maybe you can get her a mirrorless camera, so that she can grow into that world as time goes on.

For that price, you can get her an R100, which is a much better camera still.

Steve Thomas

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Lenses 1 & 3 are different. Lens 2 could be different or could just not have the full name provided.

I agree with Steve about mirrorless.

See this at your budget point: Refurbished EOS R50 RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit (canon.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a third recommendation that you go towards a mirrorless camera. All the growth in the future will be mirrorless. DSLR is a dead end. Even if you have to stretch the budget a bit now it will be a savings later.

The equivalent lens in the RF (mirrorless) series is the Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens and is around $300 bucks retail. The R100 with that lens in a kit deal is less than $600 retail.

As a further note don't be tempted to buy any of the camera packages full of accessories for sale on Amazon and other places. Buy just the camera and lens from an authorized Canon USA retailer. Those camera packages are total junk.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

In these cases, where a very generous person who is not the photographer in question, is looking to fund camera gear for someone else, I strongly recommend bringing the recipient into the conversation.  They will appreciate your generosity, and thoughtfulness in doing so.  Camera gear is a rather personal thing and there are a lot of choices. 

You can make the process of getting the camera something you can share together, making it even more of a bonding exercise than simply opening the gift, and she will be delighted that you are interested to work with her.    The worst that could happen is that she is disappointed because it isn't what she really wants, but is in a quandary because she cannot say so for fear of causing upset or, if she does not do so, will nevertheless be disappointed.

Like the others, if she is starting her journey with a digital camera, then I personally recommend going for an R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILC).  This is the range that is now being developed, while DSLRs like the 2000D are pretty much at the end of their tether.

My respected colleague Ernie makes a very good point - don't go for the kits on line with lots of add-on's - they are often of poor quality and may contain items she won't really need.  Better to invest in the basics that are necessary, and get good, high-quality components like Lexar or SanDisk memory cards from a respected camera retailer.   If you do go shopping for memory cards, get only full-size ones: cameras don't play well with micro-SD cards.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Agree with the others.  Go for Canon's R-series cameras.  Though, as Trevor mentioned, it may be better to look at gifting a gift card instead.  e.g. at B&H Photo or Adorama to name just two of Canon's authorized resellers where you can purchase gift cards.

And, absolutely agree to avoid those "super bundles" on Amazon.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

My vote is for the R50 kit that John recommended. 

Its worth the extra expense and bests the R100 almost everywhere (side by side)

Canon R100 vs Canon R50 Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

If an EF-S18-55 "kit" lens is in your plans, definitely get one of the two most recent versions, the STMs.

Any of the previous models do not allow "Full-time Manual Focus", which is where you can leave the lens set on AF, and manually focus while holding the shutter button halfway-down. 

Also, the STM versions have internal focusing mechanisms, so the front ends do not rotate when focusing. This is really handy when using a polarizer. Also preferable if using a macro flash that hangs on the front of the lens. 

I just traded (at MPB.com) two pre-STM variants for STM for these reasons.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ Here are offers I found:

1. Canon EOS 2000D + EF-S 18-55 mm III - $340

2. Canon EOS 2000D + EF-S 18-55 mm + bag SB130 + memory card 16GB - $490

3. Canon EOS 2000D + EF-S 18-55mm IS II + bag SB130 + memory card 16GB

The 2000D is a DSLR, which are quickly becoming obsolete because the lens market is quickly drying up.  Canon has already discontinued almost their entire DSLR lens lineup.  Follow the advice being given by the others about R series MILC bodies.

I would also recommend the R50 lens kit.  Make sure that you buy your camera gear and any accessories from an authorized Canon dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I have to agree with John about the Refurbished EOS R50 with the 18-45 lens.  It is in your budget range.

Do not let the "refurbished" scare you away.  Canon has their own techs go over these cameras 100% and they are just as good as new (and probably inspected better than new).  These are not used cameras.  They may have been display models on a sales floor, or overstock items returned to Canon.  

I recently bought a Canon EOS R8 refurbished.  It was listed as not available, but within two days they had more.  It may not always go so quickly to restock, but with the savings, it's worth the wait.  If you do go with the R50, ask your friend if she wants white or black.  This camera model comes in both colors.

Like others have said, the 2000D is old technology.  The R50 is new.  There will be a huge difference in image quality.  

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III
Announcements