cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Chromatic Aberration in Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM - Is This Normal?

marrasander
Apprentice

Hello Canon Community,

I recently purchased a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens and have been noticing a significant amount of chromatic aberration in my photos. This occurs even in well-lit conditions and is particularly evident around high-contrast edges.

I am attaching a raw, unedited snapshot that I took with this lens to illustrate the issue. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could take a look and let me know if this level of chromatic aberration is normal for this lens model, or if it is possible that my lens is defective.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Sander

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 18.18.30.png

18 REPLIES 18

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Ken Rockwell says there is some, but this seems excessive.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/50mm-f12-continued.htm

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What camera body?

Are you using any filters?  

Can it be removed by applying lens correction? 

Has the posted image been cropped from its original size? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

“ I am attaching a raw, unedited snapshot that I took with this lens to illustrate the issue. “

The posted image seems to have been edited or modified in some way.  It doesn’t contain EXIF data and it has a resolution of 999 x 771 pixels

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Camera is a Canon EOS R5.
No filters used.

I try to remove it in LrC with Lens Correction Color, but that's a pain and often creates lots of artefacts by removing magenta/orange/green color in places I don't want to be removed.

Yes, the image I posted is just a screenshot of a portion of the photo in 100% zoom. I just wanted to illustrate the issue. I just wanted to know if this much CA is normal for a Pro lens like the 50mm f/1.2 L USM.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with kvbarkley.  The CA on the edge of the sleeve and tie does seem excessive.  Have you run the image through DPP?  Do you have a lens profile downloaded?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The image I posted is not edited, It's only a screenshot on 100% zoom where CA was most evident.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well I don't have to rely on Ken Rockwell or any bodies guesses since I own this lens and have for years. I can tell you mine has virtually no CA. While it may not be the sharpest 50mil on the market it has plenty of IQ

Some samples I just shot, just for you. The last one is an extreme blow up. The middle one shot at f1.2.

_E1T8418.jpg

_E1T8419.jpg

_E1T8417.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for taking the time to shoot some samples just for me. 

The CA problem I have with my lens only manifests itself in certain light conditions, especially backlight with high contrast subject. There are also lots of other cases where I have no CA at all.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

_E1T8414.jpg

_E1T8415.jpg

_E1T8416.jpg

   

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements