cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Chromatic Aberration in Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM - Is This Normal?

marrasander
Contributor

Hello Canon Community,

I recently purchased a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens and have been noticing a significant amount of chromatic aberration in my photos. This occurs even in well-lit conditions and is particularly evident around high-contrast edges.

I am attaching a raw, unedited snapshot that I took with this lens to illustrate the issue. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could take a look and let me know if this level of chromatic aberration is normal for this lens model, or if it is possible that my lens is defective.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Sander

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 18.18.30.png

18 REPLIES 18

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

However the fix is simple with Photoshop. But you sample has more issues than just CA.

CA correction.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority

Looks like my EF 50/1.2L USM. Axial chromatic aberration. Worst at f/1.2.

Peter_0-1720077084357.png

Peter_1-1720077162197.png

Yes it looks like the CA problem here is very similar to mine. I guess that's a normal behaviour of this lens than.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I guess that's a normal behaviour of this lens than."

And, you would guess wrong. You saw my samples form my 1DX and ef 50mm f1.2L. It shows very little CA at any aperture and is quite sharp. Not the sharpest but sharp enough.

I actually sold my Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art in favor of this ef 50mm f1.2L. The Sigma Art is the sharpest lowest distortion 50mm lens I  have ever owned or seen and may be the best 50mil made but it ain't got f1.2. One thing for sure is nobody needs two 50mm lenses. 50mm is a difficult FL to live with and is more of a specialized FL for sure.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

When you import to your computer do you not have a lens correction preset? I use Lightroom and I have an import preset that does some basic edits automatically. This is required for every and any lens not just or simply the ef 50mm f1.2L.

EB

I don't apply presets during importing, I usually remove CA or apply lens correction during editing in the Lens Corrections section in LrC, it's easier in my case since I shoot with 3 different lenses in every session so it's never the same profile to all photos. Besides, the CA issues I have with the 50mm lens manifest only in certain lighting conditions.

This kind of behaviour is so strange to me, a lens that is so sharp and clean and sometimes so hazy and full of chromatic aberration.

Peter
Authority
Authority

What if you turn off everything in post, ebiggs1? Do you see the CA then?

1000008132.jpg

1000008133.jpg

1000008134.jpg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Peter my copy of the ef 50mm f1.2L doesn't have excessive CA. Photos can be used as is, however I have a lens correction preset for every lens I own, or perhaps nearly all since I have such a large lens inventory, in Lightroom.

If you have DPP4 you can do lens correction there too.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... it's easier in my case since I shoot with 3 different lenses in every session so it's never the same profile to all photos." 

Lightroom calls the proper profile for each lens individually.  It is not a single profile. It is tailored to each lens specifically so the number or difference in lenses isn't a factor. It should be the very first thing you do in post editing.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements