cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Mark II & EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM Won't Focus

aliyallah
Apprentice

Hello Amazing people. Hope y'all are having a great day. 

I bought a Canon EF 70-200mm 70-200 f/2.8L f/2.8 f2.8 L IS II USM lens for my 13 year old who has taken up interest in shooting sports scenes. I bought it for him from eBay. Anytime he tries to use it on his Canon EOS M50 Mark II Body, it goes into continues drive trying to autofocus. You can hear it trying to autofocus continuously for about 30 seconds then it shuts down. He has other lenses that work just fine. This particular one is giving him problems. I am not sure if there is a setting he needs to set or the product is just defective. The problem is, I cannot return it. I will appreciate help please. Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Set the camera to P mode, set autofocus to One Shot AF and ensure that the lens switch is set to AF mode. Set lens a 200mm zoom setting.

Go outside and try to focus on a subject like a building about 20 feet away. If other lenses achieve focus but the zoom doesn't it is likely a lens problem.

Canon still services the "II" version of the lens so you should send it to Canon for evaluation.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... other lenses that work just fine."

You can do the test described above but then lens call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 the lens needs servicing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

aliyallah
Apprentice

Thank you. I will try that. 

Announcements