cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 700D how to attach Tamron lens?

rana0460
Apprentice

hi! i recently bought my first camera, a canon eos 700d, the lens i have is a tamron af 18-200 with a canon EF mount, i have tried to attach the lens but haven’t been able to, do i need to buy some sort of lens adapter or am i just doing something wrong? please help!

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The lens should fit directly on the body. It doesn't require any adapters.  Match up the dots seat the lens and twist to lock.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite

If the lens will not attach, sounds like you don't have a Tamron lens with an EF mount.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Certainly possible.  @rana0460.  Is this the lens you own?

shadowsports_0-1686835936425.png

Do you have anything that shows its for Canon EF?

shadowsports_1-1686836272838.png

https://tamron.cdngc.net/inst/pdf/b018inst_1506_en.pdf

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Make sure your lining up the mounting index on the lens with the red circle on the lens mount. Then turn clockwise when looking from the front. Ignore the white square mounting index. That's for Canon's EF-S lenses. Only Canon makes EF-S lenses which only work on crop body cameras. 3rd Party lenses use the Full Frame EF Mount with an APS-C image circle.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Please post a photo of the lens showing the lens mount area so we can confirm that you do have a Canon mount on that lens. 

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... i recently bought my first camera, a canon eos 700d, the lens i have is a tamron af 18-200 with a canon EF mount,..."

You had to buy theses on the used market? Did they come as a combo? If they didn't as others have indicated the lens is likely not for a Rebel but likely for a Nikon. You should return the Tamron today which is not a particularly good lens anyway and buy something like the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens which is designed for your Rebel and a very good lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

The same as some other responses, I suspect you have the wrong version of the lens. Without actually seeing it the bayonet mount area of the lens, we really can't say.

Tamron has made 18-200mm lenses for Canon EF, Nikon F and Sony E mounts.

The Canon and Nikon versions of the 18-200mm look very similar (and appear to have been discontinued). The Sony version is quite different in appearance.

You can see all three here at the B&H Photo website. If you click through on any of those you will find additional views. Even so, there isn't a lot of noticeable difference between the Canon and Nikon versions of the lens. However, note in one view how the electronic contacts of the version for Nikon protrude and are visible in one view, while they are not visible in the Canon version because the larger diameter EF mount provides room for the contacts within its diameter. The only other thing distinctive in those images is the rear lens cap, which is imprinted with "For Canon" on that version and "For Nikon" on the other.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements