cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFS 18-55mm STM IS lens won't stay in Auto Focus mode

sangelos
Apprentice

So, I just bought a Rebel t6i video making kit and it came with the EFS 18-55mm STM IS lens.  It worked great for about a week and now it will not stay in auto focus mode.  

To clarify a bit of what is happening:  The lens has AF turned ON.  On my camera display, it will continually flicker back and forth between AF(it actually says "one shot." Its where you see your burst setting when in any priority mode) and MF.  

When I turn the lens to MF, it works just fine.   I also tried out an older 18-55mm lens and it works with no issues as well as an older 70-300mm lens I have.  Seems to just be an issue with this one lens.

Any suggestions for me short of calling Canon and saying, "Hey, what gives?"  I'm failrly new to the DSLR game, so I'd love any feedback you could give me.

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and arrange for replacement. I am assuming you can't bring back to place you purchased for some reason. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

JonKline
Enthusiast

Before you send it in, try cleaning the contacts on the lens and on the camera body. I suggest isopropl alcohol on a cotton swab, since a pencil eraser might leave little bits of rubber in places you don't want them.