cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens compatibility with EOS R7

Nappert
Contributor

Newbies here.  We're wondering if we can get my daughter's Rebel T1i lenses (EFS 55-250; EF 50mm; and EFS 18-55) to fit/adapt to our new EOS 7. Thank you for any help.

17 REPLIES 17

My bad...EOS R7. So many letters and numbers...lol!

That's a very good camera. That's Canon's top of the line APS-C camera. With IBIS your lenses will be stabilized too. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Note the EOS R7 DOES NOT have a built in flash like the other APS-C R series cameras. Or even its predecessors the 7D series. So if you need a flash an external speedlite would need to be purchased separately. 3rd Party speedlites often cause problems. I would look into a Canon speedlite if flash is needed. Also depending on your budget and what kit you're getting. The EF-S 18-55mm kit has been replaced by the RF-S 18-45mm F/4.5-6.3 IS STM kit lens. Also your current EF 50mm prime lens (assuming you have the EF 50mm F/1.8 lens) has been replaced by the RF 50mm F/1.8 STM lens. Also the EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 lens has been replaced by the RF-S 55-210mm F/5-7.1 IS STM lens. Note these new zoom lenses have shorter focal lengths compared to their older counterparts. They also have newer faster AF motors too a lot of older lenses did not have. A lot of older lenses used slow AF Motors called "Micro Motor" and lacked image stabilization. But some of the lenses in the EF-S Mount were upgraded STM and added IS. STM stands for Stepper Motor & IS stands for Image Stabilization. STM AF Motors are quieter and faster. IS allows you to use slower shutter speeds and eliminate camera shake while taking hand held pictures in low light or with long lenses. Also note that newer lenses all utilize what's called "focus by wire". The focus ring is NOT mechanically connected to the lens' focusing elements. Instead the focus ring is electronic.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Yes, you can use your current EF-S and EF lenses with the EOS R7.  The R7 has what is called an APS-C crop sensor and the EF-S lenses are specifically designed to work with that size sensor.  EF lenses will work with Full Frame or APS-C cameras.  As mentioned you will need an EF-RF adapter from Canon (preferably).

Other bodies that would work with your current lenses are the EOS R10, R50 and R100  each being cheaper and offering fewer features than the previous in the list.  The R7 is currently the best in class.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor. We do need to spend A LOT more time learning things in the Canon manual. We barely know how to take a clear photo! Thank you for the reply. We're hoping for some decent photos on our upcoming trip.

I recommend watching some videos on photography in general.  My go-to starter videos are from Chris Bray, who is an Australian National Geographic Photographer.  He has a very relaxed style and will take you through the basics.

If you have access to your local library on-line catalogue, I suggest looking for an item called LinkedIn Learning. If it is available, you have free access to an immense array of professionally-made videos on all aspects of photography - everything from the very basics to advanced techniques.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I hope some of this might be helpful.

I suggest practicing near your home before you leave on your trip, even if there are no photos you would want to save or show to other people make hundreds of photos.

If you have a large enough memory card, then set the camera to record both RAW and JPG so that when you get back from your trip you can adjust things like white balance and brightness in the Canon DPP software.

For me, the old EF-S lenses work better on my newer RF camera than they did on the old camera, but the new RF-S lens that came with your camera is likely better yet.

The PDF of the camera manual can be downloaded to a cell phone for viewing while you are traveling.

Thank you for the tips.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements