cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens compatibility with EOS R7

Nappert
Contributor

Newbies here.  We're wondering if we can get my daughter's Rebel T1i lenses (EFS 55-250; EF 50mm; and EFS 18-55) to fit/adapt to our new EOS 7. Thank you for any help.

17 REPLIES 17

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Do you mean the 7D series DSLRs, Rebel T7 or the new R7 which is a mirrorless camera. If you're talking about the 7D series DSLRs or Rebel T7 no adapter is needed. If you're talking about the EOS 7 Series Film cameras your lenses the EF-S 18-55mm & EF-S 55-250mm lenses ARE NOT compatible and they WILL NOT MOUNT at all. Only the EF 50mm lens will mount on an EOS film body. Please list the full name of the lenses that you currently have. The EOS R series requires an EF/EF-S-RF Mount adapter to use those lenses. Note NOT all adapted DSLR lenses fully support all features on the EOS R Series.

Lens compatibilty .pngLens Compatibilty PT. 1.pngLens compatibilty PT. 2.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you. 

What camera did you purchase exactly. If it's the EOS R series cameras. Stick with the Canon brand adapters. Third Party adapters cause all sorts of problems.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Makes sense to stick with brand. We are SO new a lot of this us over our head. We're going to a camera shop tomorrow!  But we look forward to spending more time on this site learning, looking, and sharing. Appreciate your willingness to help.

Do you know exactly what you're looking for feature wise in a camera. It would be best to look into the EOS R series. Mirrorless cameras are quickly replacing DSLR cameras. Currently we have 2 sensor sizes those are APS-C & Full Frame. Full Frame is a throwback to the film era. 35mm film measures 36x24 just like a Full Frame sensor in a digital camera. APS-C is smaller than 35mm film. Your current camera is an APS-C camera. Would you like to stick with that or move to Full Frame. The EOS R series APS-C lineup consist of the R100, R50, R10 & R7. I have listed them from beginner to advanced. Then for Full Frame you have the EOS R, R8, R6 Mark II, R5 & R3. There were also the original R6 & RP which have been discontinued and have been replaced by the R6 Mark II & R8 respectively. I have listed them from beginner to advanced. Since you mainly have APS-C lenses I would look into an APS-C camera. Some of the newer cameras such as the R50, R3, R7, R10, R8 & R3 offer a newer multi function hot shoe. That offers better communication features with newer speedlites and transmitters such as the EL-5 & ST-E10 transmitter. The R6, R6 Mark II, R5, R3 & R7 offer IBIS (In body Image Stabilization). Which can help with lenses which lack image stabilization. Note when EF-S are adapted to a Full Frame EOS R series camera. Image sensor capacity is reduced by a factor of 2.5x. For instance the EOS R5 is 45 megapixels in Full Frame mode but in 1.6x crop (APS-C Mode) the camera is now 17 megapixels. I wouldn't recommend Canon's EOS M series lineup. It has largely been discontinued and replaced by EOS R series APS-C cameras.

-Demetrius

Thank you again. As for what we want...just good pics. Close up. Distance. We leave for an Overland road trip in a few days and will just have fun taking pics and scour the manual later.  Again, really new newbies!

Do you have a specific budget in mind and do you have any requirements. If so list them if possible so @Tronhard and I can find the best camera for your needs.

-Demetrius

We purchased an EOS 7 bundle. One lense. Will work for us, was hoping daughters old DSLR Rebel lenses were compatible.  She has 4, all with different strengths. We will improve each day, each tutorial, and each page of the manual!

I just want to confirm that you bought an EOS R7. Or did you buy a 7D, 7D Mark II, Rebel T7 & Rebel T7i DSLR camera body models. Canon hasn't made and "EOS 7" camera in years and they only used that name for EOS Film bodies. If it was a DSLR body no mount adapter is needed and your lenses will mount natively. This is what we're trying to confirm so we don't give you incorrect information regarding your camera.

-Demetrius

Announcements