cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Incorrect Lens Model in EXIF

SpaceMax
Apprentice

Hi everyone and happy new year!

I noted that photos taken with my 70-200 f/2.8 Mk 3 show in the EXIF that they were taken with the Mk 2. 
Not sure if this affects the lens correction profile. Since the EXIF with the lens information is also consumed by all my photo databases, it affects the search algorithms. 
How can I correct the issue?

Or is there something deeper at play? I.e., is it really a Mk III or is the internal chipset from the Mk II in my copy? 

has anybody else had this issue?

cheers, Max

8 REPLIES 8

Peter
Authority
Authority

Share an affected raw file. Hard to analyze nothing.

EF 70-200/2.8L IS II USM and EF 70-200/2.8L IS III USM share the same optical design, so the same lens correction profile should be good.

According to exiv2 the two lenses share the same LensType nr in Exif, 251. If the software you use tries to identify a lens only by the tag LensType it will be impossible for your software to know which lens it is.

Screenshot_20230107-081619.jpg

You will probably find the correct lens name in the newer tag LensModel. Older cameras like D30 only use LensType and not LensModel, so if you have an old DSLR you will be stuck with LensType nr.

Hi Peter,

i checked the RAW and JPG in Canon DPP and the lens shows correctly. Apparently the issues occurs when importing jpg’s via the Camera Connect App. 
i usually transfer photos from the camera to the phone and from the phone auto-upload to my NAS and the cloud. 
for some reason Canon Camera Connect adds the wrong lens information as it’s all showing correct on the PC in DPP. 
PS: Camera’s are the EOS RP, EOS 450D

any idea what causes the override of the exif info by Camera Connect on iOS? I have the latest Camera Connect incarnation. 

Max

Are you sure the files contain the wrong name and not the issue is the application reading the names?

Following your advise I checked the RAW exif in DPP and it’s fine.

i think it’s Canon Camera Connect on iOS that messes up the data. 
unsure how to cure that. 

So Canon Camera Connect only reads LensType nr?

You can try to load my raw file https://discuss.pixls.us/t/lensfun-not-finding-the-right-lens/26779/7

Does 300x1_4II.CR2 show no extender?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  the same lens correction profile should be good."'

I would not bank on the profiles being the same. Whether that is an issues here is not known but the newer lens has a very much different lens coating than the previous versions. This will affect how the lens performs.

"i think it’s Canon Camera Connect on iOS that messes up the data."

I agree. Not Canon Connect but the OS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

They share the same profile in DPP4.

SpaceMax
Apprentice

Thank you gentlemen for helping me troubleshoot. I gained good insights and conclude the issue sits with with Camera Connect on iOS combo. For family photos this is fine since I know which lens I used and I never used the Mk II, so who cares.

For my astrophotography I ingest via DPP anyways and there are no issues. 

I am glad there is a place here to discuss Canon specific issues with smart people. 

Happy New Year!

Max

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements