cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 400mm f/2.8 IS II Lens causes camera buttons to not function

johnemoore3
Apprentice

Yesterday I started having an issue with my Canon 1Dx Mark II and 400mm f/2.8 IS II - When the lens is attached to my camera, nearly all buttons stop working, including review, menu buttons, set, AF-On, etc. The only buttons/dials that work are the shutter button, aperture and shutter speed dials (back and top dials), and joystick. The camera works fine with other lenses, and the same probably happened when I connected the lens to three different cameras. If I turn on the camera without the lens then attach it, or detach and re-attach the lens while the camera is on, all the buttons work fine briefly, then stop working. I've tried gently brushing and using a lens blower on the lens contacts. I have set up service with Canon and will be able to ship off the lens in two days, but wanted to see if anyone on the forum had experience or solutions for this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

johnemoore3
Apprentice

Wound up sending the lens to Canon. They inspected and replaced worn out contacts and mount. Lens has worked perfectly since receiving.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would advise shipping the lens AND the camera if you can.  Save your current camera settings to a memory card, and then remove the memory card before you send it out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would do a full reset first. Menu>Tools>clear all settings and clear all custom settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Try pressing and releasing each of the focus stop buttons located around the far end of the lens.  These telephoto primes will cause the attached body to act that way when one of those buttons is depressed, I just tried it on my 1DX II / EF 400 f2.8 IS II and 1DX III / EF 800 f5.6 IS and get exactly the symptoms you described. 

I wonder if one of your buttons has become stuck, if so cycling it a couple of times could clear the fault.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

johnemoore3
Apprentice

Wound up sending the lens to Canon. They inspected and replaced worn out contacts and mount. Lens has worked perfectly since receiving.

Announcements