cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 17-40mm f/4L USM on EOS M50?

Skiple
Contributor

Hi I’m looking to buy a new lens for my camera? Does anyone have any idea if the Canom EF 17-40mm f/4L USM ultra wide angle lens will work with my eos m50? Would I just need it and an adapter or will it not work at all? If it won’t work at all what are some similar lens’ that would be compatible?

thanks

23 REPLIES 23

I'm glad you are finding some gear to help you with your proposed trip.  Not sure what time of year you will be travelling, but I would recommend a good camera bag.  I personally carry my gear in Tenba Messenger bags that store my camera bodies, lenses, accessories and important documents when I travel.  There have been times when I have used them as pillows when I want to be extra secure - not that I think this will be an issue for you.
When the camera is out, you can get special plastic bags to put around the body and lens, but honestly any plastic bag will work. You put the camera in back to the bottom of the bag so the lens has an unobstructed view.  You can then use a rubber band around the lens hood (I always get lens hoods for my lenses).

As to tripods, since you are travelling with a lightweight kit,  you don't necessarily need a heavy tripod.  You if you are concerned, you could try one of several brands. I personally like the IFOOTAGE COBRA 2. It's a light monopod with a tripod foot that can be used as a super compact tripod, monopod or small tripod.  Get a cheap ball head for it - I use the SmallRig Aluminium Panoramic Ball Head 3034 - it also works for my larger cameras too.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

70CF14B5-E091-4F5F-92E5-CF20E31BB74A.jpeg

I just got a 55-250mm EF-S lens yesterday! Pretty impressed with it. Waiting on the 55-200mm EF-M & 11-22mm to come in. 

I'm really glad you are happy with your selections.  I hope the other lenses work out well for you.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

PassionEye
Apprentice

old post but i'll share anyways..i have a M50,i use the 17-40mm with the adapter and recently bought the viltrox speedbooster and it's amazing the shots i get.It almost turned the M50 into a FF and the f4 lens is now a f2.8.It works flawlessly .

Announcements