cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choice of first lens for bird photography

parthas
Apprentice

With a cropped sensor mirrorless camera from canon R series, if I have to choose between canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM and canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM as my first lense for bird photography, which lense should I choose and why so?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The guys have all made great points.  Think about how you will use your camera most.  Are you going to sit somewhere stationary or be walking around?  If you will be walking around, I'd suggest the RF 100-400.  If you plan to sit with a tripod, the RF 600. (between these two)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

lovetoshoot2023
Contributor

I used the combination of a Tamron 150-600 with a Sony camera for years and achieved some great results for perched birds. The autofocus system with the camera wasn't up to speed for birds in flight or in lower light.

If this is your first attempt at bird photography I'd probably think in terms of 600mm f11. You won't break the bank and you can gauge your interest in the discipline. As you develop your skills you'll discover that many times the background will make the shot and you'll want a faster lens that will help deliver the separation between your subject and the background.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements