cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon camera and lens help please - EOS R7 and Full-Frame Lenses

Sunflower
Apprentice

So , currently have a canon point and shoot and now in the position to purchase a mirrorless camera and nice lens

I have got down to two camera

sony a6700 and canon R7

It has taken me a lot of reading and re-reading of stuff to get my head around the FF lens on the APS body.

I like the R7 but it only has four APS lens , the others are FF lens which I understand as below

so if I was using a APS on the sony , 50 mm it would be a 50mm field hitting the sensor but if I was using a 50 mm FF on the canon it would be the equivalent of 50 x 1.6 hitting the sensor the rest would be lost as it would be out with the sensor

Just wondering why canon havent invested in APS glass , I know there are going to be sigma lens this year 

if your going to be using FF lens, why not just get a FF camera or it is because of the extra reach you get 

If getting the canon R7 and using the FF lens , you would need to calculate what the lens actually will capture , something when picking up the sony aps with aps lens you wouldnt need to do

also, apart from what a FF lens on aps body is captured on the senson, I am still unsure what other things to take into account 

thanks 

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"if your going to be using FF lens, why not just get a FF camera or it is because of the extra reach you get"

This is wrong. you get more "reach" with an APS sensor because it is effectively a crop of the FF image area.

You are worrying too much about it.

Those 4 lenses cover 90% of what most people photograph, the the 18-150 being an excellent walking around lens.

If you need something else, you can use the RF lenses, or Canon has a whole stable of EF and EF-S lenses you can easily adapt.

The R7 is an awesome camera and to an inveterate horizon-tilter like me, has automatic sensor leveling!

You can see it in action, here:

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/r7.htm

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

@sunflower...

The comparisons you are making are not exactly accurate.  I'm heading to the office and will explain in more detail if no one has responded later this morning. 

@kvbarkley has already responded 😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"if your going to be using FF lens, why not just get a FF camera or it is because of the extra reach you get "

As pointed out above, "This is wrong. you get more "reach" with an APS sensor because it is effectively a crop of the FF image area.".

There is no "more reach" the difference is the AOV (angle of view) is different when you use any certain lens on a crop series camera. The exact opposite is true if you use the same lens on a medium format camera. The debate has gone on forever which is better to use a cropper or a FF and crop in post edit. The result is basically the same.

"... equivalent of 50 x 1.6 hitting the sensor the rest would be lost as it would be out with the sensor"

This is also not true as nothing is lost. In fact all cameras are in a sense  full frame regardless of their sensor size. The lens fills the sensor with light. The difference is in the AOV solely and entirely. The 50mm lens on a cropper is equivalent to an  80mm on a FF. The same 50mm lens on a medium format appears like a 36mm on a FF because of the AOV. Period.

It is really a stupid concept brought on by the 35mm film guys when digital cameras came on the scene and different size sensors.  They thought it a good idea to compare everything to 35mm film I don't know why. Medium format folks never did it as they know what a certain lens provides on their cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

" They thought it a good idea to compare everything to 35mm film I don't know why."

When digital DSLRs were first released they were initially all APS-C size sensors because of the cost of sensors. 35mm film cameras were around for decades so people needed to retrain their brains; putting a 50mm lens on a digital camera gave a different image than what they were used to. 

MF didn't go through that transition.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

" They thought it a good idea to compare everything to 35mm film I don't know why."

When digital DSLRs were first released they were initially all APS-C size sensors because of the cost of sensors. 35mm film cameras were around for decades so people needed to retrain their brains; putting a 50mm lens on a digital camera gave a different image than what they were used to. 

MF didn't go through that transition.

This is why people like Sony Northrup insists that you must also apply crop factor to Av, so that you can create an identical DOF and framing as what you would get with a 35mm film camera.  All of which is pure nonsense, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you put 50mm lens on a Sony A6700, you will have an equivalent FOV of 50x1.5, not 50.   The two brands have slightly different crop factors. But both cameras are APS-C bodies

IMG_1865.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Sunflower...  after all that....  Buy the R7  🤣

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"Just wondering why canon haven't invested in APS glass, I know there are going to be sigma lens this year" 

Full frame RF lenses can be used on crop sensor RF bodies like the R7, RF-S lenses cannot be used on full frame R bodies, so it makes sense to concentrate on producing RF lenses first.

"If getting the canon R7 and using the FF lens , you would need to calculate what the lens actually will capture , something when picking up the sony aps with aps lens you wouldnt need to do"

You don't need to calculate anything - what you see is what you get. If  you were a seasoned photographer and knew from experience that a full frame xxmm lens would be perfect for the shot then you would need to a quick calculation when you grab a lens to mount because you could inadvertently crop the scene. That is a pretty limited population. 

I have two friends who purchased R7s and they are extremely happy with them. They are using a mix of RF lenses, RF-S lenses and adapted EF lenses - all without any problems.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

thank you 

Announcements