cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Street photography and landscape lens recommendations for EOS R50

shadysha03
Apprentice

Hi all!
Can anyone suggest a travel lens for the R50?
Have just started using this camera and am using the kit lens. I took it to Japan with me and found that I was quite limited with what I could photograph. Would really love an all round lens that I can use in different settings (street/ countryside etc...) if there is one. 

Still learning but still want to purchase a different lens for travel .

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Take a look at the RF-S 18-150.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely, Rick is spot on.  This is the best all-in-one lens available right now the your model.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don’t know if that is the best but certainly a decent choice. Lately I have been impressed with Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM | C lens. Not sure if it’s a current market lens or not but certainly worth a look even used.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Without doubt, my respected colleague Ernie's suggestion will give you a much greater zoom range and that could be an important benefit.  However, there are some considerations here as regards compromises in lens performance to get that range - like any device it's all about balancing priorities:  See this review Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM | C review | Digital Camera World
The lens is designed for DSLR cameras which, for Canon cameras (you must specify that), use an EF or EF-S lens mount, and to use it one would need to get an EF-RF adapter to work on your camera's RF lens mount, which will add cost, bulk and weight.  Also, be aware that Canon do not provide any promises of functionality or support for any lenses made by a third party - this does not just apply to the Sigma in question but any lens not released by Canon.
Ernie's suggestion is certainly valid if you prefer the focal range as a significant priority - this is simply to give you a context over the considerations in using a non-RF and especially non-Canon lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements