cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM Part Inquiry

Thezeeshan
Apprentice

Hello Everyone, it’s my first time on the forum, I recently dropped my 70-200 ii (heart shattering sound) and got a dent on the lower ring where the lens mount is with contact prongs. I have been researching but I can’t seem to find the name of the part.  please let me know if anyone is familiar. 

Thanks 

ZK

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.48.44 AM.png

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I see more than one "bad" part.  The rubber grommet is compromised, too.  That is a job for the repair center.  Any bump severe enough to do that to a lens may caused internal damage, too.  LIke alignment damage.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I see more than one "bad" part.  The rubber grommet is compromised, too.  That is a job for the repair center.  Any bump severe enough to do that to a lens may caused internal damage, too.  LIke alignment damage.

I agree with this recommednation.

However if you want to try on your own you can order this document

Canon C21-0371 Parts Catalog

from uscamera-dot-com

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Take the advice to send your lens in to Canon for service.  Even if you are able to replace the parts you can not do two things.  You can't check it for internal damage and you can't realign the elements. This is not a DIY project.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You can make it look cosmetically OK but that is a nice lens and worth spending the money on to have it fixed correctly.

I do some very in-depth electronic repairs including board level repair of multilayer SMD PC boards with circuitry far more complex than what is in my 1 series Canons.  But there is no way I would go into an expensive lens that was dropped hard enough to do that level of damage because I don't have the optical measurement equipment or experience to do a job like that correctly. Just like an hard hit to an automobile, there is often hidden damage that will show up later at the most inopportune time.

There are a lot of DIY jobs and if it was just a paint scratch or a torn weather seal gasket, it would be fine for home repair.  But you own one of the best and most versatile L series lenses and it should be brought back to factory spec if doable in an economically feasible fashion.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements