cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF 300mm f2.8 L Ultrasonic (Non IS) Questions

Johnny-Angel
Contributor

Hi Guys,

I have an old Canon EF 300mm f2.8 L Ultrasonic (Non IS)

I have two questions to ask

1 There is a drop in filter / holder with a screw in glass which says Canon 48mm Regular 1x

Do you know what it's purpose is is for? 

2 Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this lens - boy have I tried!!

Thanks guys

Johnny

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

amfoto1
Authority

The drop in filter you see in that lens is part of the optical formula. There probably should always be some sort of filter in there. As it's labelled "Regular" I would guess it's a plain filter in there now, with no effect other than to maintain the optical formula. In addition to a holder that's threaded to use screw-in filters, there are also drop-in gel filter holders and polarizing filters that are permanently installed in a unique drop-in design with external controls to be able to adjust the filter's effect.

The non-stabilized super telephotos all use 48mm drop-in filters like yours. All the later IS lenses use a larger, 52mm drop-in filter. The 48mm and 52mm types are not interchangeable. Note: There also are smaller 34mm Canon drop-in filters that were used in the FD or FL manual focus lenses. Plus there are now select Canon drop-in filters for use in an EF to RF adapter, unmarked for size. I don't know for sure, but would strongly suspect neither of these types are interchangeable with the 48mm size your lens uses.

It is not possible to use a screw-in C-Pol or any Variable ND filter in the 48mm and 52mm drop-ins. Only the special C-Pol and fixed strength ND can be used in them. The modern version for use with the EF to RF adapter has a Variable ND drop-in available, as well as its own C-Pol drop-in. 

I remember reading somewhere that a guy had purchased a lens like mine but his had a polarizing filter in the slot and he was unsure as to whether or not it had to stay in the slot!

In the case of the C-Pol, if that is all they have it will have to remain in the slot. If it were removed and another drop-in were not put in its place, there would be a massive light leak at the rear of the lens ruining every image.

He would need to get either the 48mm gel or 48mm screw-in drop-in filter holder. While it's recommended some sort of filter always be fitted, those can probably be used without an actual filter installed without much of any harm. The holder itself will serve to close off the slot and prevent light leaks. But because of it is a special assembly, with the filter permanently installed and a dial on the outside to adjust the filter's effect, this isn't possible with the C-Pol drop-in.

48mm gel drop-in filter holder for sale on eBay.

48mm screw-in drop-in filter holder at B&H Photo (currently unavail., watch for used here or elsewhere).

48mm C-Pol drop-in filter at B&H Photo (currently unavailable, watch for used here & elsewhere)

48mm C-Pol drop-in filter at KEH Photo (presently out of stock)

As to the user manual...

I have only the later IS lenses and the manual for those will not help you. They share a single manual for the 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4 and 600mm f/4 (possibly the 800mm f/5.6, too, though that lens came later). Possibly it's the same with the non-IS lenses, that they share a single manual and all have similar controls?

Whether that's the case or not, I also didn't find the manual specifically for your lens online.

I did find:

Ken Rockwell's review of the EF 300mm f/2.8L USM lens.

MIR.com web page devoted to EF 200mm f/1.8L USM lens, with good illustration of similar controls (scroll down).

Canon USA Support: Using EF 400mm f/2.8L USM Focus Preset Function. 

Scribd PDF of EF 500mm f/4.5L USM lens manual (preview only, account and download req'd).

YouTube video showing EF 500mm f/4.5L USM lens in use (on current R6 camera).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

View solution in original post

@Johnny-Angel wrote:

Hi Florida Drafter 

I used the link that you gave me and this message came up….

Sorry! The page you’re looking for can’t be found.

As you can see I am also having font size issues!!

Sorry about that! It worked when I tested it, but I now get the same message 😞

Looks like John got you squared away.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hi Johnny-Angel welcome to the forums:

1. Some of Canon's lenses allow drop in filters such as an ND Filter or Polarizing Filter. Since filters cannot be attached to the front lens elements like the 70-200mm lens series.
  2. I think the IS version of the lens manual mentions the non-IS lens

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks for your quick response Demetrius,

I remember reading somewhere that a guy had purchased a lens like mine but his had a polarizing filter in the slot and he was unsure as to whether or not it had to stay in the slot! So now it is making sense.

I will try to find out if the IS manual is more or less the same as the non IS like mine.

Thanks for your advice

Johnny  

@Johnny-Angel wrote:

"I remember reading somewhere that a guy had purchased a lens like mine but his had a polarizing filter in the slot and he was unsure as to whether or not it had to stay in the slot! So now it is making sense.

I will try to find out if the IS manual is more or less the same as the non IS like mine."  

My wife used this lens when she was shooting 35mm film. It's one of the lenses that I regret selling. IIRC, Canon recommends keeping something in the filter slot even if only the clear glass filter (ours came new with the clear glass filter) as the lens is optimized to include it. I don't think anything bad would happen if the slot is empty, but as mentioned, the lens is expecting something to be there, similar to the glass protective plate on the front. The only filters she used were gels that she made, but she always kept the glass filter in the slot.

As for the mark II manual, it should be useful. The lens switches are pretty straight forward except for the "Focus preset" switch, which appears to be the same on the mark II.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks for your advice Newton!

It is much appreciated

Johnny

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do you know what it's purpose is is for?"

One purpose is similar to the protecto filters people put on the front of their lenses. Only the drop-in filter protects the open back end of the tele.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks EB - it's all fitting together now and making more sense!

Does anyone have a link to a site where I might be able to buy a manual mk 1 or 2? 

Regards,

Johnny

Canon USA support site. It's a free download, but you will need Acrobat Reader.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/ef-300mm-f/2.8l-is-usm#idReference%3Dmanuals

OP doesn't own the IS version of this lens.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Correct. They asked for the mark I or II because the original lens manual is no longer available.

"Does anyone have a link to a site where I might be able to buy a manual mk 1 or 2? "

The lenses are similar.

Announcements